Author Topic: The Throwback (retro) template.  (Read 42519 times)

Offline LeoNeeson

• Tireless poster
  • Still very busy...
    • View Profile
    • twitter.com/LeoNeeson
Re: The Throwback (retro) template.
« Reply #90 on: February 14, 2020, 08:28:53 AM »
However, there is a cleaned-up open source Throwback template located at post#1.  It is quite like Throwback11MP along with some of the Throwback13-Gigabit project.  Think of that as a "best of" collection in one file.  It has finished the same way that it started, with simplifying as the main goal.
This is good to keep the forum community healthy and to keep the post sanity :) (This thread has currently almost 42k views, and those who come back to download your Throwback template will now have your template available again). I appreciate your comment, and that you have restored the good-willing. You do a good team-work helping and testing DJ's templates! 8)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 01:06:14 PM by LeoNeeson »
HFS in Spanish (HFS en Español) / How to compile HFS (Tutorial)
» All my work/posts/data anywhere on internet is on Public License!

Follow members gave a thank to your post:

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 14, 2020, 01:30:45 PM »
Write protecting the hfs.ini file was not effective

i have no idea of what happens if you set that file read-only, it's not a case that was considered

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 14, 2020, 01:55:30 PM »
the temp files you are talking about are because i don't  immediately overwrite the file, but create a temp file and then rename it.
It's a common technique to avoid totally losing a file.
The process probably fails at the moment it tries to rename to hfs.ini because was marked as read-only.
If nonetheless you want to stay like this but gets these leftovers, i can only suggest to add an "event script" each minute to delete all *.tmp

Follow members gave a thank to your post:

Offline danny

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 18, 2020, 04:35:57 AM »
the temp files you are talking about are because i don't  immediately overwrite the file, but create a temp file and then rename it.  It's a common technique to avoid totally losing a file. The process probably fails at the moment it tries to rename to hfs.ini because was marked as read-only. If nonetheless you want to stay like this but gets these leftovers, i can only suggest to add an "event script" each minute to delete all *.tmp
I was trying to make a watchdog (including settings stabilizer) which did not do a write loop.  But, I'm not actually a good programmer, so I didn't figure this out yet. 

Offline danny

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 18, 2020, 05:14:50 AM »
This is good to keep the forum community healthy and to keep the post sanity :) (This thread has currently almost 42k views, and those who come back to download your Throwback template will now have your template available again). I appreciate your comment, and that you have restored the good-willing...
Thanks again for your help.

For reference use, here is original/unmodified Throwback11MP and Throwback11basic.  These are older, with somewhat less features; but, they introduced the capacity to list half a million files on one page, which might be utilized during file search.  Perhaps these are good as a point of reference? 
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 06:09:32 AM by danny »

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 18, 2020, 02:37:13 PM »
I was trying to make a watchdog (including settings stabilizer) which did not do a write loop.  But, I'm not actually a good programmer, so I didn't figure this out yet. 

i meant an event script in HFS like this

Code: [Select]
[every 1 minute]
{.delete|*.tmp.}

but i fear the 'delete' command doesn't support wildcards.
I don't have sources right now and the documentation tells nothing about it.
If it doesn't, you'll have to use also the {.dir.} command or, easier, use {.exec|del *.tmp.}  or something similar