rejetto forum

HFS stopped working after move

Offline wallywalters

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
We just moved to a new house across town and setup our computers in exactly the same configuration we had them in at the old place -- same router, same network, different ISP -- and now HFS doesn't work.  In other words, the ports are still forwarded exactly as before, but now HFS fails the self-test.  What am I missing?

Offline bmartino1

• Tireless poster
  • I'm only trying to help i mean no offense.
    • View Profile
    • My HFS Google Drive Shared Link
"different ISP" ... most likely, your ISP is blocking your outgoing port. try changing the port in the router and on HFS.
Files I have snagged and share can be found on my google drive:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1qb4INX2pzsjmMT06YEIQk9Nv5jMu33tC?usp=sharing

Offline wallywalters

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
I've done that -- switching the ports (and forwarding) to 8080 and then 9090 -- but the self-test keeps testing -- and failing on -- other ports I haven't specified, including ports 80, 1000, 7000, 8000.  I'm stumped.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
hi wally,
i just tried to access your IP (i can see it as i'm administrator on the forum) and it worked on port 80, so i guess that you solved your problem.

Consider that self-test is currently giving some false-negatives. (but never false-positives)

Offline wallywalters

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Hi Rejetto. I was not at the IP address of the computer with the problem when I wrote the first post, but at another PC where HFS was (and still is) working.   That's why you were able to "see" my server at that time, but (presumably) cannot now.  I am typing this now on the computer having the problem described in my initial post, and the problem is as before.  This PC, the one I'm typing on now, still fails the self-test.

HFS still works on localhost and on my internal network, but cannot be accessed from outside.  I'm using the same router from before moving, and the port forwards and firewall settings are all the same.  The only thing that's different is my physical address. 

The result is also the same if I shut down HFS and do a clean install of HFS from another computer on my network.  Also if I change the port HFS uses to ports that are currently open and working for other programs:  uTorrent and Soulseek, respectively.  But uTorrent and Soulseek ARE able to run on the ports I opened earlier for Soulseek.

Most mysterious of all:  we also tried running Tonido portable from the second computer to see if we could serve files from it.  But when we called up the Tonido URL from our phone (with HFS turned off), it now feeds us the HFS interface.

What in the world is going on?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 05:51:02 PM by wallywalters »

Offline bmartino1

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
so, you have two hfs server machiens?.. waht our the ip they have, and witch ip is forwarded in the router?

i think you need to put it on a different port and add a new rule for the ip

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1qb4INX2pzsjmMT06YEIQk9Nv5jMu33tC?usp=sharing

Offline wallywalters

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
I don't really have two HFS server machines, strictly speaking.  What I meant was that, for diagnosing this problem I reinstalled HFS on a second PC (after shutting it down on the first).

I've tried HFS on the old ports (which are still properly forwarded), I've tried assigning it to new ports (which I've verified as being correctly forwarded), and I've tried it on forwarded ports that other programs work on.  I've also tried it with all firewalls shut off completely.  Nothing helps.

Again, the only thing that changed between when HFS was working and when it isn't is that we've moved across town, and have a different ISP.  Every other aspect of my system is identical and unchanged.

Offline bmartino1

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
we are dealing with web serves at this point..., the PC operating system is only important to get the program running, at that point...

we are looking at networking, and the system is not identical as you claim...,
as 1. IP and device coneting are different
2. There could be other security setting in the router/new network form ISP preventing this...

Besdies, the self test is not reliable, nor do i trust it... my understanding on it was, that it was broken quite a few builds ago.

As rejeto puts it here:
quote "not saying the test "failed". It's just unavailable"...
http://www.rejetto.com/forum/hfs-~-http-file-server/self-test-not-working/msg1057596/#msg1057596

There are many other ways to test you connection.. i recommend a internet free proxy site...
or, what rejeto posted in the above post, "can you see me" .. site

At this point, I believe your router/ISP modem has a firewall (buiiltin), that is blocking the packet for the test back, so the program is claiming a "false positive" as failed even though it is open and working...
(witch should be tested a different way at this point...)

further more, kinda left in the dark on further helping you. you have 2 PC, it works fine on one,
*so what are there OS, what the difference between them...

Clearly there is a difference in the system as rejeto has seen it working, so it not being blocked...

i'm not going to be of any more help hear, as I am confident that this is a pc/ networking issue on your end. Not HFS software....

Offline wallywalters

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Yes, I'm confident it's not the software as well, nor the router.  That's evident because if I transport the PC and router back to their original location (in another city 20 miles away, with a different ISP), HFS works again as before. 

I just hoped someone would have an idea what the problem is, and how I can work it out.

Offline LeoNeeson

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
    • twitter.com/LeoNeeson
I bet this is a ISP issue (who is blocking your ports). In that case, there is no much you can do. As a last resort, you could use ngrok or PageKite. Good luck.... ;)
HFS in Spanish (HFS en Español) / How to compile HFS (Tutorial)
» Currently taking a break, until HFS v2.4 get his stable version.