rejetto forum

usability: index.html by default ?

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
Introduction: (advanced users can skip this part)
Some people may like to publish a web page using HFS as a normal web server.
Often, it is made of several files in a folder, and the main file is named index.html
In such case, it is desirable that this file is autoloaded when the user enters the folder.
You can get this behaviour by using the feature "default file mask".

The point:
I think the "default file mask" should come already configured to load the default file. And that's what it will come in future versions.
As usual, this may not always be what the user want, but i think 99% of times it is. Others may just disable it.
If anyone thinks it's a bad idea, this is the time to speak.

Details:
I guess a good mask may be "index.htm*;default.htm*" (to catch both htm and html extentions).
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 06:47:03 AM by rejetto »

Offline Foggy

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
Although I don't use hfs to host web pages I understand that others do and I think that it is a good idea because it wont affect me unless I have a file called index.htm or default.htm unless I was too have them hosted my hfs.

Offline Tuskenraider

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
yeah i think its a good idea. i personally host a website and a subweb with my hfs.. and my original setup would have been smoother had i index.htm been the default mask. 

this will also help the n00bs out there get setup and running their website quicker. LOL less um..how do i do this posts here in the forums.. lol

so ill put out a call to everyone else... lets have more hfs as a service posts! LOL kidding.

fantastic software rejetto keep up the great work!

Tuskenraider
pfffssshhh i dont need a signature...

Offline DMP9_MC

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Sorry to bring up an inactive post, but is it possible to make it so on the index.html you could press a "Files" button to reload the page, bypassing the index.html?

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
yes, IIRC you have to append ~nodefault to the URL