rejetto forum

3.0.0 Search

parade · 25 · 12546

Offline parade

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
Hi,
when I try to search there is nothing happening. I get 100 % CPU Load. The Browser doesn't respond and HFS doesn't respond.

Greetings
parade

Offline Giant Eagle

• Tireless poster
  • >=3 RAWR!
    • View Profile
    • RAWR-Designs.com
That means that the search is working properly, and that hfs is trying to search through your entire server. If you have alot of files, this might take a long time. But after a few searches, the waiting time should be decreased.

Offline parade

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
That means that the search is working properly, and that hfs is trying to search through your entire server. If you have alot of files, this might take a long time. But after a few searches, the waiting time should be decreased.

I navigated to a subfolder with only a few files and activated Search , files, from current directory.
Why should HSF search through the entire server?

Offline Giant Eagle

• Tireless poster
  • >=3 RAWR!
    • View Profile
    • RAWR-Designs.com
Its the default setting, no matter where you currently are, hfs will search the entire server.

Offline parade

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
Its the default setting, no matter where you currently are, hfs will search the entire server.

But don't I change the default settings if I change the search parameters of the search menue in the template as there are

- folders
- files
- both
- recursive
- from root directy
- from current directory

Offline TSG

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
    • RAWR-Designs
Ye the default setting my form has, is the same effect as ?search= , this is normal behaviour, can you provide specifications on your pc? This information will help rejetto. You can be sure its not the template but HFS causing this. HFS has to search through your database recursively, which uses cpu power, I do not feel it, i only have an AMD 2.2ghz 3500+ if you have less, it might effect you.

I can provide instructions to remove search for people with slow computers, though it is a shame to remove such nice feature :) i say upgrade those computers  ;D
« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 04:16:05 AM by That_Stevens_Guy »

Offline Foggy

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
It is a know fact that doing anything recursively in hfs will take a lot of cpu power but I have only seen Giant Eagle's computer freeze up when doing anything recursive and that was recursively listing his hdd. If your only searching the current folder and it doest have many files it sounds as if you have got a really old computer. So i agree with what TSG said and ask you to post your specs up and that might be able to help rejetto.

Offline parade

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
can you provide specifications on your pc? This information will help rejetto. You can be sure its not the template but HFS causing this.

I think the power of the PC is not the issue. My PC is certainly not up to date but an Athlon XP 2600+ isn't so slow.

When I got no response from HFS I noticed, that the harddisk was not working at all. I waited for about 10 minutes, then I shut down the task.

In the meantime I tried some searches and they did work. But once in a while there is no response.
Till now I cannot see any systematic behaviour.

Offline TSG

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
    • RAWR-Designs
It must be your computer hardware. My computer runs 2 sata drives with the processor mentioned above and most searches work fine. It is the only way to search and searching will use resources, it is not a simple task to iterate through lines of text. Rejetto has tried his best to minimise the effects. And yes anything below 2ghz is so slow :D (to my knowledge that processor is 1.6ghz and about 6 years old).

Offline parade

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
And yes anything below 2ghz is so slow :D (to my knowledge that processor is 1.6ghz and about 6 years old).

In fact it is exactly 2 GHz.  ;)

Offline surron

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
search doesn't seem top be working nothing comes up when you hit search
i can leave it wait there for hours on hours and nothing with one directory with 30 things in the directory  please help thanks

Offline Foggy

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
what does the log in hfs say when you try?

What build are you using?

Do you have Recursive listing enabled? (Menu > Virtual File System > Enable Recursive Listing)

Offline maverick

• Tireless poster
  • Computer Solutions
    • View Profile
I don't buy the argument that the PC is to slow and is the cause of the slow searches mentioned in this thread.

The slowest PC I have is a PII-300mhz that I use mainly for storage.  Now if you want old and slow, this is it!  I tested using this PC and HFS 2.3 build 145 with default template.  I did a search for mp3 files scattered among many folders on different drives and ended up with 749 search results. It took only 7 seconds to complete.

The problem with slow searches might be template related.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 08:00:14 AM by maverick »
maverick

Offline Foggy

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
How many files/folders had to be recursively listed for the search to work? I ask this because a while ago me, tsg and GE all tried to recursively list our hdd's and GE who's computer is quite old and slow 500mhz I think took close to 20 minutes where as my 2.4ghz processor took roughly 1min to list about 120k of files.

Offline maverick

• Tireless poster
  • Computer Solutions
    • View Profile
How many files/folders had to be recursively listed for the search to work? I ask this because a while ago me, tsg and GE all tried to recursively list our hdd's and GE who's computer is quite old and slow 500mhz I think took close to 20 minutes where as my 2.4ghz processor took roughly 1min to list about 120k of files.
In the search I did above, it consisted of 2 main folders on 2 different drives.  There were a total of 86 sub-folders (some real, some virtual) with a total of 749 files taking up 2.37 GB.  As I mentioned before, the search took 7 seconds.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 08:09:31 AM by maverick »
maverick