rejetto forum

HFS Wine *nix

~GeeS~ · 9 · 4421

Offline ~GeeS~

• Tireless poster
  • "The web was made for sharing..."
    • View Profile
sigudian wrote:
Hi fellow linux user, i dont have linux installed at the moment, one of the reasons for that is HFS
Im just wondering, since you also like HFS and have linuz currently installed, if you could check if WINE is able to emulate HFS.

www.winehq.org, i bet you know this allready, but wine is an emulator for windows programs and games.

At the moment i see 3 options to get HFS running in *nix:
1. VMWare (not tried yet)
2. Wine (not tried yet)
3. recompile HFS sources (did some research, but feasibility appears very low or almost zero to me)
I'll try options 1 and 2 as soon as i've solved some minor issues with my hardware (i just started with Ubuntu Edgy 64 from scratch ... i need some learning).
When i'm succesful, i'll let you know ... be patient. But hints are welcome!

~GeeS~

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
i knoe wine doesn't work for HFS.
what i would do is to ask wine developers to investigate on it.

Offline ~GeeS~

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
so far just a quick try:
edgy 64 does not support wine, so i just run HFS 2.1 with wine in dapper 32 in Vmware
(why simple if you can do it complicated  :D  ) everything is fine, filessystem etc., server starts, see a connection on 127.0.1.1:8080 in the logs, but browser nope!
Selftest cant connect and tells i should forward ports (could be right i've installed a new router), But the loopback interface also gives no result ...hmm???
BTW, this post comes thru the same virtual machine Dapper 32/FF2.0 as where i run wine with HFS. So in principle, there is hope !?
Next would be a virtual WinXP in VMWare for gnu/linux, maybe tommorow.

BTW this virtual construction is almost as fast as the real machine and still much faster than my 32bit WIN
« Last Edit: November 11, 2006, 10:06:22 PM by ~GeeS~ »
~GeeS~

Offline sigudian

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
the easiest way would be to runn it though wine, though the best way would be if rejetto could port it.
Since my policy is not to ask someone to write code i cant/am to lasy to do, for him to ask the wine devs to look in to the problem is just great!

my personal checklist to never ever go back to windows again

1. get HFS running
2. get cedega (one way or the other), i dont play games on the pc that often, but its just i thing i want to be able to do ones in a while
3. get my firends to go over to linux

Offline ~GeeS~

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
Update:
Switched back to a fresh edgy 32bit, run wine, HFS starts normally (except port 80 was in use?!), took another port, on browse FF connected and stayed white (no error).
 HFS logs show connections, but idle, after some time connection(s) got kicked. It seems that the client can connect, but further communication between server and client is silenced  ???
In fact, this is the same behavior as with wine on the virtual machine. To be continued ...
Any help is welcome! BTW on a German kubuntu-forum someone claimed to have HFS running with wine ... he didn't answer yet.
~GeeS~

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
running but... working? ;)
some people may yell before they notice networking is not working.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
people complains here about Wine not working with HFS, but as you can see here
http://appdb.winehq.org/appbrowse.php?iCatId=74

no one asked them to support HFS !

Offline ~GeeS~

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
people complains here about Wine not working with HFS, but as you can see here
http://appdb.winehq.org/appbrowse.php?iCatId=74

no one asked them to support HFS !
was reading the wine site, i will go after it and i hope with your support!
~GeeS~

Offline kmjpcuser

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Hello all,

I can't speak for the other Linux distributions, but I was able to get HFS to run well under Wine in PCLinuxOS.  For some reason I had trouble downloading larger files-- the server would "hang up" and stop transmitting the file.  I had to enable the maximum bandwidth speed-- and that solved the problem for my setup.  In fact, I just got done transmitting a few files from work to my desktop.

Regards,

kmj