rejetto forum

Having to find external address daily

Offline Kacee Cooley

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
This is my 1st post and I am having a frustrating problem.... I have HFS configured properly and working great, ports are forwarded and outside access is working. My problem is that every day or two (when i check) my server isn't working. I run the self-test and it fails, then i find external address and rerun self-test and it passes. I have the constantly find better address checked and it doesn't seem to be working, is there any way to make the server find an external address at an set interval (say every hr) so that my server will stay online unattended? Im running HFS 2.2f(build 155) on an old machine running windows 2000 pro. My internet is at+t yahoo dsl and i have an old 2wire modem/router. I have looked at the forum to try to find answers, but was unsuccessful. I have assigned a static ip to the server pc to the router, but my router is dynamic ip and im using the no/ip DUC tool, which is reporting my new ip adress at 10 min intervals. Im sure this is probably an easy problem for someone out there, but im stumped. any ideas on what im missing?

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
welcome!
is that your external address changes sometimes?
if you are going to use a dynamic dns service, this problem will disappear, because HFS will check every 10 minutes for any change on your external address.

Offline Kacee Cooley

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
my external address does change, i have been using the no-ip DUC tool to keep my page updated, i will try to see if using the one in hfs works better than the one that no-ip provides. i will post back if it is sucsessful, hope it will be.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
the updater embedded in HFS is not designed to be better than the original one.
it's just in case it's enough for you.