rejetto forum

Help with Hardware Selection - New NAS

selkov · 7 · 3286

Offline selkov

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
I have been running HFS on my pc to remotely access my NAS. I Need to replace the NAS and was wondering are their any 2 drive affordable NAS's that can run HFS natively?

Offline danny

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
I have been running HFS on my pc to remotely access my NAS. I Need to replace the NAS and was wondering are their any 2 drive affordable NAS's that can run HFS natively?
When that happened to me, I got a couple of external hard drive enclosures, for the PC, which was on anyway. 

Offline bmartino1

• Tireless poster
  • I'm only trying to help i mean no offense.
    • View Profile
    • My HFS Google Drive Shared Link
Nas are hard drive component with noc attached, ATM hfs requires a win32 environment to run, Nas of lucky will have a Barr min Linux running ftp/samba server.

So no I know of no hardware stand alone Nas that runs hfs

You have to have a derivate machine with mutiple harddrove to accomplish this.

I agree with Danny that multiple USB passport hd would be capable
Wd cloud has some good resource.
Files I have snagged and share can be found on my google drive:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1qb4INX2pzsjmMT06YEIQk9Nv5jMu33tC?usp=sharing

Offline danny

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
External enclosure is good because it doesn't make too much load on the PC's power supply. 

This:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/264509594657

Cool tips:
Leave the cover off
Add taller rubber feet

Offline selkov

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
Guys,
Thanks for your suggestions however they are of the mark. I am not looking for an enclosure to support 1pc. I need an NAS that is accessible through the network and of site. There are plenty of NAS units that support Android apps and self executable Windows exe's and also some that run VM Machines. I was hoping someine here had experimented with some and had recommendations as to which to get.....

Offline LeoNeeson

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
    • twitter.com/LeoNeeson
I was hoping someine here had experimented with some and had recommendations as to which to get.....
Hi! For as much I like Rejetto's Forum, you will find a much better answer to general NAS questions, in Tom's Hardware Forum (Google currently gives about 33,200 results on that forum about NAS). There you will find much more experts on that field. In this forum we are mainly focused on HFS, and even if we try to help anyone as much as we can, it's my own recommendation to ask this question there.

I Need to replace the NAS and was wondering are their any 2 drive affordable NAS's that can run HFS natively?
If you don't want to depend on having a PC running all day, and if you are in the DIY (Do-It-Yourself) world, you can try to build a Raspberry Pi NAS, and then try to run HFS there by following some guide like THIS to run x86 software on ARM hardware. This is untested by me (and I can't guarantee HFS will work on that configuration!, but if you do this, it will be nice if you share your results here).

Cheers,
Leo.-
HFS in Spanish (HFS en Español) / How to compile HFS (Tutorial)
» Currently taking a break, until HFS v2.4 get his stable version.

Offline danny

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
Note: 
Single-threaded Windows HTTP servers (there's many to choose from) have a requirement:  more-cpu-than-ethernet
This is done by setting properties of the ethernet port to 100mbit (to prevent gigabit flooding crashes).
No gigabit because, more-ethernet-than-cpu = crash 
So, if you need faster than 100mbit, (if you want a no-crash gigabit server) then you need Linux. 

Exception:  It is possible to buy multi-threaded windows server software that works almost as well as paying nothing for Linux.

Options list:
Free single thread windows server software (HFS and many others) with ethernet set to 100mbit
or Paying for multi-thread windows server software, for gigabit aka 1000mbit
or Linux (NAS or DIY)