rejetto forum

Download Speeds

Offline WhereEaglesDare

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
I am running HFS on Win XP Pro.  It is a dedicated server and the only other thing on it is sTunnel (for remote clients only) and a FTP Server that isn't used unless I need to get into it to move some files around.  The Ethernet port on the server is 1000Mbs, but the infrastructure (Routers, Switches) is 100Mbs.

Here is my question.  I have one local client downloading and he is getting speeds of 4.5 MBS, which is awesome.  A second local client tries to download and he might get 1 MBS, while the first client continues to get 4.5 MBS.  A third might get in and get a speed of 450KBS, while the first gets 4.5 MBS and the second is getting 1 MBS.  After the first is complete the second's and third's speeds don't increase to take advantage of the released bandwidth.

Is this a problem with my OS?  How do I fix this?  I would like it so that it will automatically share the bandwidth evenly among local clients.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 12:54:17 PM by WhereEaglesDare »

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
we need some more tests to know what's happening and what to point out.
like, you should ask the same guy who is download at 450 to restart the download (or to download something else) when the server is "free" and see how fast it gets.

if it is getting 450 again, then we should not consider it to be related to the fact it was initially busy.

another interesting information: is "speed limit" enabled?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 02:41:37 PM by rejetto »

Offline WhereEaglesDare

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
No, Speed limit is not enabled.  I did ask the third downloader to stop after everyone else was done and he was still getting sluggish speeds and when he restarted it bumped back up to 4.5MBS after the restart.  The downloads were of different files each about 5-7GB. 

The simple solution is just to have one or two client connections at a time, but what if I want 3 or 4 client connections at a time, each sharing the bandwidth evenly.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
i just never met such case.
i mean, they always increased speed as it was possible, never saw connections with stuck speed.
you should specify HFS version, and dump here your "Show customized options".

Offline WhereEaglesDare

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
I'm using 2.2f.  The only customized option I'm using is user names.  I turned off all limits, etc. I also changed the title to the page to personalize it.  Could it be an option in XP I'm missing?  Because it is strictly a server I leave most options in XP as defaults, except for the firewalls and anti virus.

Offline maverick

• Tireless poster
  • Computer Solutions
    • View Profile
Try the latest beta (v2.3 build 240 - http://www.dovedove.it/hfs/hfs240.exe). Let us know if there were any speed differences and if the bandwidth was better distributed.  Most of us here use the betas with many of us that beta test. 

When rejetto asked to see your customized options, he meant go to Menu -> Debug -> Show customized options...  and show him the contents (copy & paste).
maverick

Offline WhereEaglesDare

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
If I goto the beta will I have to reconfigure the HTML code and my file system?

Offline maverick

• Tireless poster
  • Computer Solutions
    • View Profile
If I goto the beta will I have to reconfigure the HTML code and my file system?

No.  Just change the hfs.exe you are now using with the hfs.exe of the beta and run that.  That's it.  Your existing html, file system, and settings will be used.  You can always make a backup copy first of your virtual file system (.vfs), template (.tpl) and your current settings {hfs.ini) just in case something happens.
maverick

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile

Offline WhereEaglesDare

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Got the beta, and now it works.  Thanks guys.  HFS is #1.

Another Question.  If you edit the HTML Template, can you enter any HTML code and it will work fine, like links, pictures, etc.  Do you have some examples of sites on the net that use HFS and take advantage of it's versatility?

Offline bacter

• Operator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
WhereEaglesDare:

Templates are build of html sections (for example [upload]), use  some special symbols (like %user%), and they may contain macros (written in hfs-macro 'language').

You may modify the templates with html for your needs.

Take look at the wiki:

http://rejetto.com/wiki/index.php?title=HFS:_Template#Embedding_pages_inside_a_template
your computer has no brain - use your own !

Offline Exystredofar

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Just wondering, my HFS doesnt have the edit template option, and Im using the 2.3 beta...

Another question, more important, Im having speed issues as well, but I have the limit disabled as well. Much of the configuration settings that are mentioned on this site are not in my HFS file at all, either. But anyways, if theres only one person downloading one file, itll go about 50kbps, but if he starts downloading a second, theyll both go down to about 20 and 30. Same thing if 2 people are downloading one file. I can download things, and it will give me a speed of about 500-600kbps, but for everyone else, they have a shared speed of 50kbps, that goes down every time a new file starts downloading.

Anyone know how to fix this? Or is it just my router/connection?

Offline bacter

• Operator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
Your hfs has edit template option only when you switch to expert mode, not when you are in easy mode.

What other people (outside yor lan) can download depends on your outgoing bandwith (upload to the internet) given by your provider. If your outgoing bandwitdh is 50kB/s, then the sum of all simultaneous downloads can't be higher.

On your lan you can get the lan bandwith or in localhost what your hardware is able to do.
your computer has no brain - use your own !

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
with ADSL your "outward" speed is different from your "inward" speed.
you can check your upload speed at www.speedtest.net

qerqwr

Thank you so much for the beta version!
I was looking for a long time for a version with a better speed!

Now i got full 100mbit speed from my root server, thanks so much!!! I love HFS!!!!!