rejetto forum

NEED HELP: Port forward (with pics and instructions)

Guest · 13 · 9532

Tony

Hi, I am using NetGear DG632 ADSL router at home. I have done the port forwarding which given by this web site - http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Netgear/DG632/Http_File_Server-HFS.htm. Now I got soem problems here:

1. I did everything which told from the web site but I still getting my router's external IP
2. When I do a self test it says "You are behind a router, ensure configured port 80 in your PC"

So can anyone please tell me how to fix that problem?
p.s. I am using static IP for my PC

Tony

sorry i really need help i did everything already but it still not working ! please help rejetto !! :D thanks

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
i see these possible problems

1. a firewall on your computer, blocking
solution: try disabling or removin it

2. another setting in your router, conflicting
solution: reset your router, than reapply the steps on portforward

tony

oh~ it works now! i enabled DMZ server in my router... i can do self test but when I try to get my external IP, it still gives me the router's IP... so how can my friends access to my HFS? any idea please? THANKS :)

Offline maverick

• Tireless poster
  • Computer Solutions
    • View Profile
Have you tried from HFS Menu -> IP Address -> Find External Address?  That should work without problem.

If for some reason it doesn't for you, you can also try a site like http://www.myip.dk/ to get your external address.
maverick

tony

yes~ i did "find external ip" but it shows my router's external IP... this is incorrect right?

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
that is correct instead. that's what you should give your friends.

Offline maverick

• Tireless poster
  • Computer Solutions
    • View Profile
rejetto

It never ceases to amaze me that people just don't seem to know the difference between internal and external IP's and which IP should be given to the public or friends so they can access their server.  This has come up so many times and unfortunately so many aren't searching the forum for answers that are already there before they post.

Might I suggest to add a line of info in the response they receive when they select the option to "find external address"...  add something like "this is the address remote users use to contact your server".

maverick
maverick

tony

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
Might I suggest to add a line of info in the response they receive when they select the option to "find external address"...  add something like "this is the address remote users use to contact your server".

i think this is not enough.
The hint should be given before people click on the function, not after.

Offline maverick

• Tireless poster
  • Computer Solutions
    • View Profile

Whether the hint is given before or after they "find external address" is up to you.  The main thing is that they are given the hint at the time they need it.  We have had so many posts about which IP address (internal or external) should be given to the public or friends.  A small hint like this would be a good addition to HFS and would stop the same type of questions which we answer over and over again.
maverick

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
yes, i would like something that would not only stop people posting, but also help those who would give up without even posting :)