rejetto forum

Hosting

Cormacs · 15 · 3950

Offline Cormacs

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
I hope this isn't a comonly asked question. I tried searching for it. Right now I use HFS to edit my website remotely, It works awesome. I currently use abyss web server to run my website, it works great, but if I could I would like to use HFS to run the web site too. That way I would only need one server. I can get HFS to run the web site just fine, but once I get HFS to run the web site I can no longer get into the directory to download or upload the files. It just continues to load the index.html file. Can someone help me?
                  Thanks in advance.

Offline Sapphirescales

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Simple.  Network your server and desktop computer together and edit the files through your network (not through the server).  That's how I do it.  I don't know of any other way.

Offline Cormacs

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
I don't think you quite understand what I was trying to say. That is how I edit my website, when I'm at home. I run a team web site and when we are on the road I would like to edit it from the hotel room. I can edit it as long as HFS is not running the web site. I can go in download the page I want to edit and then upload it when I'm done. All works great. But if at all possible I would like to do both, have HFS host the website and still be able to go in and download the files and upload them when I'm done. But as soon as I get HFS hosting the website, which it does just fine. I can no longer get to the page where it shows the file directory and allow me to either download or upload the files. It just brings me to my website.

Offline Kremlin

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
Why not simply use a remote viewer of the computer that hosts the website? i for example use radmin to access the computer and update the files, even while HFS is running. All you have to do is fixate the computer IP and configure it on the remote viewer program.

Offline Cormacs

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Oh and one other thing. Why won't it let me upload a index.html file. it always says "•Index.html: FAILED --- File name or extension forbidden"

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
welcome Cormacs.
i hope this could be the solution for you:
menu > other options > enable ~nodefault

then, when you want to look at your files as you used to do, you should not just access the normal address http://youraddress.com but http://youraddress.com/~nodefault

Offline Cormacs

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
That worked great. I can now host the website and download and upload. But can you now fix my problem with not being able to upload an idex.html file? It just keeps saying "•Index.html: FAILED --- File name or extension forbidden""

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
i forgot about that other question.
that's because of the default setting for the "upload filter mask".
in HFS 2.3 you will find it by right clicking on the folder your working on (from within HFS), and going to "file masks".

when you finally access it, you'll see that it's set to forbid such file name, and others.
but you can change it. my suggestion is for
\hfs.*;default.htm*;descript.ion;*.md5

Offline Cormacs

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
I hate to bother you so much. But in the file mask section there is nothing listed. I erased what was there, index.html and default.html ect. but it still wont let me upload the file.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
i forgot to say: when no value is given, another value is searched in "parent" folders.
a parent folder is a folder containing the current folder.
such default value is actually set on the root/home, and that's where it is getting the value.

ANYWAY, you should safely set the new value in the folder you are interested in.
this way, the other (root) value will just be skipped.

Offline Cormacs

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
I'm sorry. But I can't get it to work. Can you be more specific as to which fields those values go in?

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
right click on the folder you need for uploads.
"properties"
"file masks"
enter this value:
\hfs.*;default.htm*;descript.ion;*.md5

Offline r][m

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
Cormacs
I can download any of my website's pages (not template), edit and upload them again here,
thanks to Rejetto's last post. I didn't use the "~no default" because I don't really understand it fully.
May try it later.
My method requires some folder configuration and a bogus file mask, etc.
If you don't get it to work, post back and I'll try to give details. ;)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 06:28:37 PM by r][m »

Offline Cormacs

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Thank you.
You solved all my problems. But now that you solved those problems, another one came up. Now that HFS is hosting my website it works great. The one issue is I have .pdf files hosted on my website, before it would just preview in the browser but now it always asked if you want to download or open the file. Is there anyway I can make the HFS server let users browse a pdf file and not download it? Thank you.

Offline r][m

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
Are you sure your browser and reader are set up?
Google finds :)
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/331/331025.html
Not sure if HFS can force the browser to display pdf?

Also in HFS try Menu > Other Options > User Accounts. 
Mime Types tab > Add Row > *.pdf
Then check "Open directly in browser.....

« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 07:38:53 AM by r][m »