rejetto forum

How can > a LOT < of useraccounts be made in HFS?

Guest · 5 · 1716

Florian

Hello Mr. Rejetto,

I this this is a very nice piece of software and I use it myself to allow non-geek friends to access some files and photo's, for wich it really works great.

My friend runs a forum and has the need for users to be able to upload text and screenshots that have to stay private. The forumsoftware can not do this, it can only handle small file attachments and the posts are allways visible for all users.

I said that this can be easily done with HFS, but he has A LOT of users.
How can we import a list of Username / Passord and create 1000 or 2000 accounts?
The thing is, the uploads have to be logged, and all the users can upload in the same folder, but will not be able to see what is there, as Download will be not permitted from that folder, and only the admin(s) will be able to see it.

Is there a place where the useracounts are stored? So far I was not able to find it, is it inside the .VFS-file?

Maybe you can give us a hint or something.

TIA,
Florian

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
the problem is not about creating.
this is possible externally without even restarting HFS.
but after creating the accounts you have to assign them to the folder permissions.

anyway... accounts are in the ini, and there are command line options to pass pieces of ini while HFS is running.
this won't be so useful until i make something that i was thinking since long. a way to give access to anyone who logged in.

Offline Foggy

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
Is it possible for each user to have their own special folder that only they can see. so if they went to http://hfs/~<username> it would access their own folder.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
i guess this is a very disctinct request
you could get something like that using "list protected items only for allowed users"

Offline bacter

• Operator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
to Foggy:

You can do that and it works - but in order that users may upload in their folder, you must use real folders.

-------------------------

Administration of big account numbers:

I think it would be interesting to have user-groups (each user may belong to one or more groups) - that would greatly simplify defining access-, view-, download- and upload-rights. Without user-groups you may get sick defining that 478 users (out of 1200) have accces to view a folder and then restrict the upload-rights for 211 users!
your computer has no brain - use your own !