rejetto forum

2.0 coming...

rejetto · 1151 · 540991

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
Quote from: "Dutchman01"
I'm trying too chance this template with another background color (#7378FF).
I don't no wat i'm doing wrong,
see, you are changing the color of borders instead of background's one.

nanackleman

I think the progress frame should disappear when you are done uploading. As it is now, the progress frame will follow you everywhere after its been turned on. It would be great if there was a way to turn it off!

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
sorry but i'm not an expert in javascript

nanackleman

how do you log out of HFS? Also, how long does HFS remember you after you stop browsing? It seems like a while from some of the testing I have done. Does it remember you via the connecting ip address or a cookie or what?

Thanks

Offline Mr. Anon

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
Quote from: "nanackleman"
how do you log out of HFS? Also, how long does HFS remember you after you stop browsing? It seems like a while from some of the testing I have done. Does it remember you via the connecting ip address or a cookie or what?

Thanks
HFS does not use web-based login like what you used to login into forums. This way it does not put any cookies or remember your IP anyway in order to login into HFS.

When you try to access a protected resource, HFS requests login credentials from your browser. (This is the popup that your browser displays.) When you enter your username and password in that dialog, your browser encodes that information and places it into a Authorization: HTTP header. When the Authorization: header is verified by HFS, HFS grants the access to the resource, otherwise it returns a Forbidden message. Because HFS have no control whether or not your browser sends the Authorization: header or not, there's no way for HFS to log you out. The only way to "logout" is when your browser stop sending the Authorization: header. Most browser will "forget" this header after the browser is closed/restarted. (This includes all the windows.)

Offline Mr. Anon

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile

Offline Rafi

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
Here are results from my tests (Win98SE). In general - several notes are related to the user interface logic. Although  they are not effecting the UL operation itself, it looks to me that they can contribute to making  life easier for the user, and also - improve the overall look&feel...

BA12-1 Most important - Progress is not being displayed. I retested with previous versions - it started in Alfa10. Alfa 9 is  OK.  :cry:

BA12-2 "Sound ticks" are being heard for each progress refresh... 8O

BA12-3 if we "open frame" AFTRE the file names  are entered - they are being cleared  :(

CA12-1 HFS ID text in the frame is redundant (it is already in the UL screen...)

CA12-2 Buttons operation/logic (Bugs? Features? ):
a. "open frame" should be disabled IF the frame is already open
b. add "close frame" inside the frame (and re-enable the "open frame"). Actually if you right-click->back inside it - it closes ...) or just change the "open frame" to "close frame"
c.  upload button should be disabled after starting the upload, or better yet - act as an "append file" so you can add file DURING the upload. if you add a file and press it again - it restarts the whole upload.
d. Buttons will be nicer if they  look more like buttons (3D) and not like "user: xxx" display "button" ...

CA12-3 Is it possible to remember the last "state" of the open file  dialog  (sorting, detailed-list etc) ?  

CA12-4 UL folder name - should be in a separate line (bellow the buttons ?) since when it is long - it wraps to two lines anyway...

FA12-1 Add multiple selection capability to the file-open so several files can be selected for upload at the same time!

FA12-2 Add an option in HFS - for the  "browse" operation - if to open a new browser window or, like today,  use one that is already opened.

:idea:FA12-3:idea:
I list this last one as a feature and not a comment, since it may need some overall of the MMI. It actually redefines it... sorry, but it is only alfa, isn't it ?  We ARE open to new ideas ...  ;) ... so:

1-  Open the UL dialog as a separate page/window leaving the original UL folder view - unchanged
2- You have two options now:
 a* to request a new progress window (like now) but WITH cancel+close+timer upload control on it
 b* or to have a new frame for it (similar to now, again with cancel & close controls ON IT).
[*Note1]
 When you request to open a *new frame* add to the original HFS folder-view-screen the status/progress  frame at the  top or bottom of it (with/including  the "cancel+close" buttons and a refresh timer edit field, w/o the folder name...). [*Note2]
3- close the upload-file-open dialog
4- Each auto refresh will act on the progress frame only (like today), and I would also add bellow the progress bar the name of the currently uploading file.
5- When any file is finished UL-ing - you refresh also the whole regular folder frame, and can see the new UL-ed file in the regular folder view :) !
6- when all are finished (=100%) or manually aborted - auto-close the upload status frame, that also stops progress refresh.
7- The user is now - back to it's original (updated)  UL folder view  :^^:

Note1: It is desired that both the frame view and the separate page view - should have similar/same design & controls - for simplicity
Note2: if we choose the frame view as the only option, we can generate the frame when pressing the "upload" button and just start updating  when the user starts it from the open-files-dialog

Well, a new but an award winning design , right ?  :)  :!:

@Rejetto - If you want to only stabilize V2.0  I would not touch any of my bright ideas ( ;) ) in FA12-3, although I think they are the "way to go" in future alfas and the sooner the better...

Have a productive weekend!

Offline Mr. Anon

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
Normal Behavior, nothing that HFS could change. Change your browser if you don't like the ticks :)

BA12-3 if we "open frame" AFTRE the file names  are entered - they are being cleared  :(
Same for this one, since your browser loads a new page, HFS have no control what is put it the fields.

rejetto already commented on that

b. add "close frame" inside the frame (and re-enable the "open frame").
rejetto also commented on this.
Actually if you right-click->back inside it - it closes ...) or just change the "open frame" to "close frame"
c.  upload button should be disabled after starting the upload, or better yet - act as an "append file" so you can add file DURING the upload. if you add a file and press it again - it restarts the whole upload.
Nothing HFS could change about the restart since the upload is handled by the browser and "re-clicking" the Upload button causes the browser to open a new POST connection to HFS.

d. Buttons will be nicer if they  look more like buttons (3D) and not like "user: xxx" display "button" ...
You know JavaScript? :)

FA12-1 Add multiple selection capability to the file-open so several files can be selected for upload at the same time!
Browser-dependant... No browser could do it now :(

I list this last one as a feature and not a comment, since it may need some overall of the MMI. It actually redefines it... sorry, but it is only alfa, isn't it ?  We ARE open to new ideas ...  ;) ... so:
Yes, but rejetto has to sumbit HFS to the contest really soon so he will need to stabilize it ATM.

a* to request a new progress window (like now) but WITH cancel+close+timer upload control on it
If you know JavaScript, you might wanna help.
 b* or to have a new frame for it (similar to now, again with cancel & close controls ON IT).
HELP!!!!

What!?

4- Each auto refresh will act on the progress frame only (like today), and I would also add bellow the progress bar the name of the currently uploading file.
The filename is already on the progress window, isn't it?

5- When any file is finished UL-ing - you refresh also the whole regular folder frame, and can see the new UL-ed file in the regular folder view :) !
Are you talking about HFS not refreshing to the folder view after uploading? If so, I have the same problem!

6- when all are finished (=100%) or manually aborted - auto-close the upload status frame, that also stops progress refresh.
I couldn't figure out a way to do that, maybe someone could.

???

Note1: It is desired that both the frame view and the separate page view - should have similar/same design & controls - for simplicity
Similar controls?

Note2: if we choose the frame view as the only option, we can generate the frame when pressing the "upload" button and just start updating  when the user starts it from the open-files-dialog
Dunno how to do this...

Very hard to do ideas... Maybe you could provide JavaScripts for rejetto?  B)

Offline Rafi

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
Sorry, but I'm not an expert  in JavaScript. For the rest - see bellow...

Normal Behavior, nothing that HFS could change. Change your browser if you don't like the ticks :)
really ? I'll try...

Same for this one, since your browser loads a new page, HFS have no control what is put it the fields.

really ?  no way to remember the input list and auto-re-input it ?

rejetto already commented on that

Can't find it... :cry:

b. add "close frame" inside the frame (and re-enable the "open frame").
rejetto also commented on this.

Can't find it either ... :cry:

Actually if you right-click->back inside it - it closes ...) or just change the "open frame" to "close frame"
Nothing HFS could change about the restart since the upload is handled by the browser and "re-clicking" the Upload button causes the browser to open a new POST connection to HFS.
so - just disable the button !

You know JavaScript? :)

Can't you just emulate the "upload" botton style ?

Browser-dependant... No browser could do it now :(

too bad  :cry:

Yes, but rejetto has to sumbit HFS to the contest really soon so he will need to stabilize it ATM.
I know, I mentioned it at the end. but see it as  "the future " thing

If you know JavaScript, you might wanna help.
HELP!!!!

What!?
Yes ! I meant pressing the upload button will result in closing the whole dialog. The concept is to move controls over to the progress related frame-page.

The filename is already on the progress window, isn't it?
well, see BA12-1 - I cannot see any progress at all starting from alfa10 ... :roll:  :cry:

Are you talking about HFS not refreshing to the folder view after uploading? If so, I have the same problem!
No, I meant in a future-combined-pregress+UL-folder frames - refresh the folder per file UL. Now it works OK, it does show the updated folder when the upload dialog is returning back to folder view.
And HFS server itself does not show any files inside a real folder at all ...

I couldn't figure out a way to do that, maybe someone could.
So just put a manual close  botton there that will do "back" ... ;)

???
You are not thinking "the new way" . There were two frames - progress + folder view. Now we close the progress, and left with the original updated folder. I think I'll have to draw a demo screen later...

Similar controls?
Yes, if possible, so that implementation code may  be the same

Dunno how to do this...
Well, nothing I can do to help. I'll just draw later it to make sure you guys followed my thoughts.

Very hard to do ideas... Maybe you could provide JavaScripts for rejetto?  B)

Sorry, no can do. Well, life is hard... I'll try to compose demo screen-shot later

Offline Rafi

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
Here is two Illustrations of what I meant - by FA12-3 above.

And the temporary dialog:

This is NOT an HTML code, it is only a drawing...

Offline Mr. Anon

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
You could also disable the "tick" sound completely by disabling your Navigation sound in your Sounds control panel.

Can't you just emulate the "upload" botton style ?
I am not very sure what you meant by "3D". Do you mean normal buttons? They don't look good on the page. I would prefer the ones now.

Yes ! I meant pressing the upload button will result in closing the whole dialog. The concept is to move controls over to the progress related frame-page.
Close the dialog? What dialog?

well, see BA12-1 - I cannot see any progress at all starting from alfa10 ...
Did you try resetting your HTML Template? I will try to confirm this later.

You are not thinking "the new way" . There were two frames - progress + folder view. Now we close the progress, and left with the original updated folder. I think I'll have to draw a demo screen later...
Still not sure what you meant. Have fun with the demo screens. :)

Yes, if possible, so that implementation code may be the same
For the similar controls part, do you mean Minimize, Maximize, Close?
I don't think it's possible.

Well, nothing I can do to help. I'll just draw later it to make sure you guys followed my thoughts.
I don't think that function is possible via HTML. Have no clue with scripts though...

Code: [Select]
Screenshots
Switch On/Off the progress frame
This should be possible if JavaScript were used.

Activates the Upload Dialog, and the progress frame. Optionally - changes into "cancel upload" when upload is active.
The optional part of this is not possible since HFS could not return any reply until the POST command has been finished.

Selectable refresh rate
* This value can be changed via the HTML Template.
If you want this value to be changed via the client side, this will require a deep change in HFS engines and I would not recommend that. This value should only be defined by the server admin anyways. (If you do not like the refresh rate made, you could use a web filter to replace the value. ;))

alpha9
Although this is removable via the HTML Template, it is a good idea to remove it by default in later versions.

Starts uploads and closes window
CLOSES WINDOW!? How should your browser upload with the window closed?

Closes window
I am assuming that you are wanting the upload window "pop" instead of the method used now.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
mr.anon already answerd many points
guys, you don't like the quote feature anymore? :)

BA12-1: i can't figure it out. :( i unzipped sources for alpha9 and alpha10, compared them using CSDiff, but i found no change that could bug the progress page. and moreover, it works perfectly for me and anon. i have no idea.
BA12-2: i'm not aware of how to ask IE to do not toll bells when the page is reloaded. but i sadly guess there's no way to do that.
BA12-3: this is almost unexplainable! a sad effect from a sad piece of software, that is MSIE. i have no solution for it ATM, but i'm open to suggestions.
CA12-1: yes, you are right, but i didn't want to have 2 pages for frame and external window. a little uglier, but a better template.
CA12-2 a,b: i don't have the necessary javascript knowledge, and i wait for someone to submit a better template.
  c: done
  d: i will give it a try, using css, but i fear the result won't be that nice.
CA12-3: yes, but it is uselessly complex until we have a session-based login system.
FA12-1: already discussed, impossible, AFAIK
FA12-2: something similar is already planned
Open the UL dialog as a separate page/window leaving the original UL folder view - unchanged
i don't link this change. customize the template for your own needs. let it be known the license for HFS let you redistribute HFS with your own changes, if you wish to :)

rafi, alpha13 will have a behaviour much closer to what you asked

Offline Mr. Anon

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
w00t! Alpha 13 is here!  :D

VER 2: Alpha 13
+ Grayed Upload Button When Upload In Progress
+ Avoid 2x Progress Frame
* HTML Template Changed, Please Reset Your HTML Template!

http://www.rejetto.com/temp/hfs2.0alpha13.zip

Working on HFS Black, anyone interested? :)

Offline Rafi

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
Quote from: "rejetto"
rafi, alpha13 will have a behaviour much closer to what you asked
Yes, much closer, about 10 KM now ...  ;) just kidding...

guys, you don't like the quote feature anymore?  
Since you like quotes  ---->

BA12-1: i can't figure it out. :(
[clearing UL file names]I can't figure it out either. May be related to older installs

BA12-2: i'm not aware of how to ask IE to do not toll bells
never mind, not too important

BA12-3: this is almost unexplainable!
[frame clears UL file names] "if you can't beat them - join them" --> maybe make the progress frame opened automatically - right away (+close button)

CA12-2 a,b: i don't have the necessary javascript knowledge  
[double/close frame] I see you did manage it in alfa13  ;) deleted the botton! if you  can do that - you can replace it with "close frame". see BA12-3

Quote from: "amon"
Do you mean normal buttons? They don't look good on the page. I would prefer the ones now.

CA12-2 d: gray buttons - i suggested this since current buttons are not behaving well (breaking...)  when you try make the window nerrower... also gray are dull but standard issue... ;)

Close the dialog? What dialog?
...Still not sure what you meant. Have fun with the demo screens.
...The optional part of this is not possible since HFS could not return any reply until the POST command has been finished.

Selectable refresh rate
* This value can be changed via the HTML Template.
...If you want this value to be changed via the client side, this will require a deep change in HFS engines and I would not recommend that. This value should only be defined by the server admin anyways

I'm no expert, but I'm sure it is simple. think of it as an additional filename + button. If you managed to pass 10 file names you can pass one small integer...  :)  and I don't agree with you - as I wrote - the HFS admin should define the min time allowed, the user can choose a bigger one.

again - somthing not too important but changing the template is NOT always a good  approach .

Starts uploads and closes window
CLOSES WINDOW!? How should your browser upload with the window closed?

Closes window
I am assuming that you are wanting the upload window "pop" instead of the method used now.
Yes, pop type thing (see my demo), but can be the same window.  again the sequence I suggest for later versions:

1. view upload forder (like today)
2. press upload (like today)
3. now -
  option A: popup a new window-dialog only for inputing file names
  option B(simpler): change current winodw  to this dialog (like today)
  Both - temporary views! (see demo)
4. press "upload"
5. if A -
** pass the info to the first window ...
** close the window
** return to original forder-view + new progress frame (see demo)
    if B - (simpler, may be better...):
** switch back to folder view + optional progress frame (see demo)
6. only now - start the post/upload (if required - in a new minimized/hidden window)
7. and - (I hope) progress can still work in the progress frame  8O and auto-refresh of the folder view if possible as well when each file is done...

Minor problems in the VFS:
BA13-1  : menu>switch-to-virtual should warn the user since there is no switch back to "real"
BA13-2  : creating a folder with the same name - should not be allowed (now - it has only a warning)
BA13-3 : moving a folder to a place were the name already exsists  - has no warning/error/auto-rename
BA13-4 : doing - upload, and then pressing "progress frame" to s ee the upload - cancels the upload :cry:

Edit -
Tray icon related problems:
BA13-5 - options->tray-message - help text missing %uploads%
BA13-6 - tray-icon->tray-icons-shows-># of UL - does not show a "v"
BA13-7 - right click menu should say tray icon not icons
BA13-8 - when selectin to show # of uploads - it is totally wrong, and also - does not zero at the end of the uploads
BA13-9 - # of downloads is suddenly always 2 ... :)
in general - a complete mess ... :cry:

Edit(2) -
Just tried downloading , and the progress works great for downloads.
On uploads  - no luck ... :cry: so maybe win98 does not give it a chance to get the data or something changed in Alfa10  in the permissions (I have both the tree roo and the upload folder user-protected).

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
BA12-3: i tested it, and it doesn't happen to me. i'm using IE6 with full windows update.
CA12-2:
  a,b: yes, i figured out how to do that
  d: they are links, not buttons
BA13-1: ok
BA13-2: i will change it in a yes/no question. i like to don't cancel the user action.
BA13-3: fixed
BA13-4: it doesn't to me. i tested it with IE and Opera. rafi, MSIE has problems, but YOUR MSIE has many problems!!!
BA13-5: i just don't want it in the default message. not yet.
BA13-6: fixed
BA13-7: nope, it is about more than one tray icon
BA13-8: it is not the number of uploads in progress, but of started uploads, that is, it counts canceled uploads also. i guess it is better to count only finished uploads, so i will change this in alpha14.
BA13-9: can't reproduce it