rejetto forum

Flash Uploader

TSG · 60 · 49212

Offline TSG

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
    • RAWR-Designs
I am looking into Flash Uploader solutions tonight, whilst working on the new preview box styling. If anyone has any free and open source flash uploaders that they want me to look at, post here.

This is the first one I am looking at:
http://swfupload.org/

We came to the solution that Richard and I have no idea where to start with a flash uploader. So for the first time ever we might have to use an external source until we get our heads around the code. As soon as we get this working properly, The dodgy [progress] (transfers) and [uploads] sections will disappear from all of our templates, being replaced with this all in one solution. This will remove alot of JavaScript, CSS, so we shouldn't have to worry about the filesize of the flash object, unless its ridiculous. This will hopefully be a more reliable solution for all involved. Sure it requires users to have Flash, but then so does our mp3 player, youtube and just about every other popular site on the internet.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 07:25:00 AM by TSG »

Offline Sapphirescales

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
I haven't been able to find any sort of uploader so far that doesn't require PHP or another type of scripting that HFS simply doesn't have.

I remember looking at swfupload before and I abandoned it for some reason.  I think it was because it required MySQL or something.  But don't give up hope.  I might be mistaken.

And I'm glad that rawr-designs is looking at external sources for some of it's features.  Instead of looking at using external sources as a "missed" opportunity to learn something, think of it as an opportunity not only to learn something but to IMPROVE upon the best feature you've been able to find online.  Now you can temporarily use this external flash uploader while studying the technology and eventually improving upon it.  I personally can't think of anything better. :)

Although I admire your sense of duty with trying to keep everything 100% only done by you, what you're doing isn't very realistic.  You've done a great job, but insisting on this exclusively "your own" code thing is holding you guys back.  It's like when you want to write a program like Photoshop.  The task alone is enormous, but then you say that you're going to create a new programming language to write it in too.  While you may be able to make a new (and improved) programming langauge, looking back at the old language and seeing what has been done will help you in your task.  Looking at Photoshop's code will help you too.  If you don't learn from the experiences of others you'll never grow.  The world isn't as simple as it was before.  Everything is a group and community project nowadays.  And now it's even spanning generations.  We have to start thinking differently if we want to keep this exponential growth in progress going.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 07:29:11 AM by Sapphirescales »

Offline TSG

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
    • RAWR-Designs
Well if rejetto can provide the macro and resources needed, then there is no reason it shouldn't work... I remember an old topic in another board about this. The conclusion was that no one knew how to make one themselves, but rejetto seemed to understand how it worked.... I need more programming minded people in here, where are they when you need them :P
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 07:46:58 AM by TSG »

Offline Sapphirescales

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
There are tons of flash uploaders up there.  If HFS could just make use of PHP we'd be all set. :-\  So what would this flash uploader need to be programmed in?  Just javascript and maybe some macros or something?  I dont' see that happening.

Offline TSG

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
    • RAWR-Designs
If we can get one that works with just flash and javascript then it should work with HFS. SWF Upload was recommended by rejetto in an earlier thread but I want to talk with him about whether or not he has tried to implement it.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
few months ago i was working on getting the flash uploader in the default HFS template.
i got swfuplolad to work with HFS with its html demo, so it's definitely possible. no php is required, or anything.
i was just not finished with integrating it in the template.

Offline TSG

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
    • RAWR-Designs
Can you show me that example over MSN? I would really like to scrap the shitty transfers and upload pages in our templates as soon as possible.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
i was about to post it somehow at my prev reply, but i lost it.
anyway, it was very simple, and i made it again in 2 minutes.
what i did is
1. unzip the provided demos archive
2. share the demos folder in HFS
3. create the upload folder (i shared an /upload folder, in the root, permissions anyone)
4. open simpledemo/index.php
5. change this line accordingly
            upload_url: "/upload",
6. remove this line
            post_params: {"PHPSESSID" : "<?php echo session_id(); ?>"},
7. save as index.html
8. open /simpledemo/index.html in the browser, and upload your files. it works to me.

Offline TSG

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
    • RAWR-Designs
Its not working for me, it sits at 'uploading...' and on HFS it says 'requesting'.

EDIT: Ok I got it to work, but only with upload enabled to anyone... how can we change that so its working for accounts.

EDIT:

Integrated it with the [upload] section of HFS, and ended up with this error when the folder is protected, it works fine when when upload is enabled for everyone...

8:40:41 PM 127.0.0.1:52175 Upload failed, Not allowed: file.ext
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 10:43:08 AM by TSG »

Offline Sapphirescales

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Maybe you shouldn't be using the demo but trying to integrate it via the instructions instead?

I don't see how it could work though.  It includes PHP, which isn't compatible with HFS. :'(  Renaming it to .html isn't going to help matters I don't think.  If it could work with just an HTML file, don't you think they would have done that?  It's much easier to code using HTML/Javascript than PHP.

Offline Foggy

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
after a quick Google I found a couple links which could be quite useful. I may install flash and have a quick test with it as I do believe this could be quite simple to create a proof of concept.

http://markshu.ca/imm/flash/tutorial/fileReference.html
http://www.ultrashock.com/forums/flash-professional/tutorial-flash-uploading-73938.html
http://www.flash-db.com/Tutorials/upload/upFiles.php?

The last link seems particularly useful, although they are all quite similar.

edit: For authentication on protected folders this link will be useful as its a different method. http://stackoverflow.com/questions/509219/flex-3-how-to-support-http-authentication-urlrequest
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 01:50:10 PM by Foggy »

Offline TSG

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
    • RAWR-Designs
It will work Sapphire, it is working, however there is some sort of authentication error happening, the flash uploader apparently creates its own connection seperate to the html page where the form would be. So HFS returns the value 'Not Allowed' maybe rejetto needs to make something for this to work properly on protected folders...

Offline Sapphirescales

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Well I really do hope this works.  A flash uploader is pretty much essential so if one can be implemented it should be.

Offline mysoogal

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
i use uploadify small and pretty nice looking

http://www.uploadify.com/demo/

but hfs not yet supporting php  :o

Offline TSG

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
    • RAWR-Designs
We'll use something open source so we can get used to the code, hopefully coming up with our own tightened up solution later on.

It doesn't need PHP it just needs to somehow get around this not allowed error and it'll work...