rejetto forum

Make downloadfolder accesable for specified users

Offline jpvaneijk

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Hi Guys,

I am a typical newbe with a question that seems not that hard to answer.
I've created a working downloadfolder on my PC en linked the URL on my website to it.
When someone registers on my website I want to use the same username en password they used to register for downloading files.

It seems I can only restrict acces for the folder and not make it accesable for the users I choose to. Is that correct? Does anyone knows a workarround?

Thanx for the attention guys,
JP
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 08:47:51 PM by jpvaneijk »

Offline Mars

• Operator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
In hfs, you absolutely have to create the same accounts as on your other server, it is not possible to connect the base of the accounts with that of another server, these are necessarily independent.

On the other hand it is possible by using the beta version and through the macro of hfs, to create accounts and to affect authorizations on directories.

With the macro, it is possible to read a file containing precise information (sent by the other server) to create an account, and so to satisfy your request.
 The remote server will have to have a upload directory and an account protected in hfs to pass on (to him only) the file of information for the new accounts

I wish you a lot of courage. ;)

Offline jpvaneijk

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Hello and thanx for your reply!

The answer however makes me think that you must think I'm a real 'crack' at this. Sorry, but thats not the case  ;D
Perhaps my question was a little confusing to, so I'll try again it in a different context.

Is it possible to create multable useraccounts with different passwords for downloading?
I want to give al my friends their own useraccount to download/upload from/to my computer.

Thanx in @vance for your reply.

Grtz,
JP

Offline Mars

• Operator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
I do not know if this will answer the question, but it is not possible to link more than one password to an account

1 account = 1 password

Offline bacter

• Operator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
Hi jpvaneijk:

I am a typical newbe with a question that seems not that hard to answer.
If your question is not hard to answer, perhaps you can already find the answer in the wiki: http://www.rejetto.com/wiki/index.php/User_groups. If you create a group 'friends' and make belong each new account to this group, then you have only to establish the rights in the filesystem for the group, not needing to specify them for each new account.

Is it possible to create multable useraccounts with different passwords for downloading?
What are multable useraccounts?

To give you better answers, we need not to know that you are newbie nor that you are not a crack. But it would help if you specify what version (stable 2.2f or beta 2.3) of hfs you use, and especially, a better description of your problem. ;)
your computer has no brain - use your own !

Offline jpvaneijk

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Hi and thanx again.

When someone visits my website they've got on option to create an useraccount with a username of choice and a password of choice.
As administrator of my website I receive an e-mail with username and password information and I can activate this account or delete it.

When I choose to activate the account I want that persoon to get acces to the downloadsection that is not showing when not logdin.
If I choose to activate the account I want to create an useraccount for downloading using the same logininformation (username/password) that the new member created.
It's possible that I'll be creating 50 accounts this way. I want people to use their excisting account because it can be a hell of a job to remember al your accounts.

When you're not logdin, you don't get acces. I want that to be clear.

Sorry for my poor english. I'm dutch and trying to do better.
Thanx,
JP
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 06:44:00 AM by jpvaneijk »

Offline bacter

• Operator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
I understand the following:

1.Users create an account throung a form in your page with username and password, with the enabled-flag set to 0(false). This means that the new user can not login with his new account until you do not set the enabled flag.

2. When creating an account, you send a email (using bmail or something like this) to yourself that a new account has been added.

then:

When I choose to activate the account I want that persoon to get acces to the downloadsection that is not showing when not logdin.
If I choose to activate the account I want to create an useraccount for downloading using the same logininformation (username/password) that the new member created.

When you activate the account (setting the enabled flag to true) .. what means to 'create a useraccount '(that already exists!) for downloading?

What i understand, is that creating a new account, no folder has already access permissions set for this new account.
It can be a lot of work to set permissions on folders for 50 accounts, so my recomendation is to define a group (named for example 'friends')
Then, when creating  a new account, make him a member of the group friends. This will give him al rights that have the friends in your filesystem. You only have to define de access rights once for fiends in your filesystem and don't need to define them for each of the 50 friends.

If i understood you well, that users creat their account on your server, then you use the beta build and do it using macros. If this is not so, pleas explain how they create their account.

Offline jpvaneijk

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Thanx for reacting so fast.
When I come home tonight I wil check wich version I have installed. I'm sure that the embadded updater shows no updates.

I'll try again.
The HSF server is installed on mij computer. I've selected a folder where my downloads (>100) are in. I want this downloads to be accesable for my friends (<50).
I want to give them a username and password that I choose. Non of the usersnames or passwords can be the same.

mmm, this way the question seems much easyer. Sorry if my questions seem hard to understand.

Grtz,
JP

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
in HFS you can create accounts.
You first create the accounts you need, then you give access to the folder to that account.
It's a 2 steps, just report if you can't do any of these steps.

Offline Mars

• Operator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
you can set the one user/pass by right click on the folder

then you can gives all your users the same name and pass to download folder's files

Offline jpvaneijk

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Thanx guys,

you can set the one user/pass by right click on the folder
I allready knew I could lock a folder with one user/pass. Thing is that I want more then one user/pass; about 50..

then you can gives all your users the same name and pass to download folder's files
I want to give them a specified name and pass of their own. Different users, different usernames; different users, different passwords.

in HFS you can create accounts.
You first create the accounts you need, then you give access to the folder to that account.
It's a 2 steps, just report if you can't do any of these steps.
Seems logical and I'll have to try. How do I give Acces to a specific folder to an acount?

Some other strange thing just happend. Somehow my machine rebooted and HFS was offline. How do I restart it? Did I lost my ajustments in my template or what?

Thanx,
JP

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
AFTER you created the account, right click on the folder you want to give access.
after that, it depends on the version you are using.

Some other strange thing just happend. Somehow my machine rebooted and HFS was offline.

offline but running or offline and not running?

Offline jpvaneijk

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
I'm using 2.2f build 155. Can you tell me more?

offline and not running. A spontanios reboot never happend before.
Adjusting my template for the second time is not such a big deal but are there no install files with the old template?

JP

Offline bacter

• Operator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
If you downloaded your hfs.exe from http://www.rejetto.com/hfs/, then your spontaneous reboot has nothing to do with hfs.

I now see that i didn't understand your problem - with version 2.2f there are no macros and it's impossible that

When someone visits my website they've got on option to create an useraccount with a username of choice and a password of choice.
As administrator of my website I receive an e-mail with username and password information and I can activate this account or delete it.

To offer such possibilities to the users you would need to use the beta 2.3 that offer use of 'macro' - a server side scripting 'language'.

Anyway, i think it would most help you, starting to read the tutorial about initial setup and first-time configuration in the wiki: http://www.rejetto.com/wiki/index.php/HFS_Documentation_%28English%29

Offline jpvaneijk

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Thanx everybody for giving me al these sugestions. I finaly found the way to do this.
I wasn't aware of the function that I could protect the server and the folder. Thats one thing.
On the other hand I didn't understand that restrict acces for a user ment that I was giving acces with a user/pass.

Anyway, I don't know if my explenation of the above gives anyone more information about the question I had, but for now it seems to be fixed! Great!

I've wrapped HFS in a webpage and thanks to the template (love it!) made it look like its part of my website.

For the record it works like this:
Someone visits my website. The download section is not showing and will only show when someone makes makes an account. for example user: 123, passw: HFS.
As admin I recieve an e-mail with this information. No I decide if I want to give them download abilities.
If so, I use the same user/pass to make the downloadfolfer in HFS accesable in HFS.

Anyway, thanx for all the help. This topic can be closed.
JP

And yes, I'm making backups now..