rejetto forum

"Max simoultaneous downloads from single address" does not work

Guest · 10 · 3043

Uriah

Hi,

The setting under "Menu" -> Limits -> "Max simoultaneous downloads from single address" does not work correctly. It will limit downloads correctly when they are initiated seperately, however when downloads are initiated almost simoultaneously, they are able to start as many downloads as possible. Additionally, now and then/some how, they can add more. I noticed this problem when a friend was downloading from me on a fast network using FlashGet.

I don't want to limit all downloads, and I don't want to limit the amount of connections, so I can send to multiple people, and so they can browse at the same time.

To limit the damage, I set the "Max connections from single address" to 2, so they can browse and download, however FlashGet is still able to make 2 download connections. It could be a problem with the address comparison function of HFS, since each of these connections is coming from a different port.

Are there any other settings I could set/use to limit this problem, but without stopping them from downloading from me?

This problem is present in HFS 2.2d and 2.2e, and the latest version of FlashGet (and probably most download managers).

Thanks,

Uriah

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
hi uriah.
in the last beta i found a fix for a problem, and i think it's strictly related to yours.
it's about the way "fast" connections are handled.
so, you can wait for me to publish 2.2f (coming in few days, i think), or you can give a try directly to the beta version.
let me know, i'm interested.

Uriah

Hi rejetto,

I ran 2.3 build 215 ( /forum/index.php?topic=6371.0 ) and this fixed the problem. This one works correctly, and quite well.

However, I noticed a new problem.

Because I am limiting downloads, when I browse the page in FireFox/Opera/IE, some of the page elements don't load if it makes too many connections, or makes them too quickly.

However, this is no real problem since once it has cached the data, it works fine, and it's tolerable.

Either way, it's a lot better than getting hammered.

Thanks,

Uriah

Uriah

However, this seems to have only been a problem because I was limiting "Max connections from single address" to 2 (1 for download, 1 for browsing), however since it is unnecessary to limit this, when I changed it I did not get any of the problems I just mentioned.

Good work, I look forward to the full 2.3 release.

Also, is there a way to disable search and disable file list? I couldn't seem to find a way. If someone uses either of these functions on my music folder, HFS grinds to a halt for about 5 minutes, any other sends slow to an almost halt, and I don't really need either of them.

Another feature which could be good, is at the moment if a directory only has access for a certain person, everyone still sees the directory. Instead, shouldn't it only be visible to people who have permissions to browse it? Making it hidden is an option, however then you need to manually type it in, or link to it, which is somewhat annoying. It's just I'd like to have an admin folder which has relatively full access to all of my hard drives, however I don't like it being listed (until I'm logged in), since the people I hang around with, would then proceed to attempt to crack it and own me.

Anyhow, great software.

Thanks,

Uriah

Uriah

Just found another bug. When someone is downloading a "folder archive" which is quite large, it will work fine downloading it initially however, if the connection drops it will go to 99% CPU usage when it tries to resume that download. I left it for a fair while, and the usage never seemed to drop. I thought it might be trying to assemble the archive again or something?

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
Also, is there a way to disable search and disable file list? I couldn't seem to find a way.

menu -> virtual file system -> enable recursive listing

Instead, shouldn't it only be visible to people who have permissions to browse it?

menu -> virtual file system -> list protected items only for allowed users

I ran 2.3 build 215 ( /forum/index.php?topic=6371.0 ) and this fixed the problem. This one works correctly, and quite well.

nice! i'll try to apply the fix to 2.2 as well, until 2.3 is official.

When someone is downloading a "folder archive" which is quite large, it will work fine downloading it initially however, if the connection drops it will go to 99% CPU usage when it tries to resume that download. I left it for a fair while, and the usage never seemed to drop. I thought it might be trying to assemble the archive again or something?

something like that, but that's supposed to be working.
are you able to reproduce the problem at will?

Offline r][m

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
menu -> virtual file system -> enable recursive listing
Unchecking Enable recursive listing, disables search, but not "File list"
here?

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
I know, but i guess he didn't need to disable any file listing, that should't harm anyone.
it's the recursive file listing that may hurt someone.
otherwise, tell me more about your need.

Offline r][m

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
tell me more about your need
It's not something I need, I just test a lot of things
I read of here. Sometimes I find a better way to set up
my HFS, from this. A process of learning. :)

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile