rejetto forum

Port 8080

Guest · 8 · 12843

Achim

The following question is for information only.

During the initial self test, HFS tested several ports and told me that I should open/forward port 8080. I forwarded this port to the machine HFS is running on, and now it works fine.

My question is, as the Port in the Port field in HFS' main window I now specify 8080, and I tell external users to append :8080 to their URL. It works, but I wonder, do I have to explicitely set HFS to Port 8080 in that little Port window in the main HFS window, or could I leave the original 80 in there and it would still work (I can't test so much externally and am not sure whether internal tests and external (from outside the router) would have identical results, hence my question in this forum).

I.e., does HFS use 8080 anyway for some purpose and I am now telling HFS to use 8080 for 2 purposes, or why else did HFS request me to forward 8080 to this machine?

Thanks in advance for all replies.

Achim

Offline Foggy

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
Hfs only listens on the port specified in the port field in the main window. If you specify port 80 and the self test is succesfull then it would work as normal with out the need to specify :8080 on urls, but it is possible that your isp is blocking access on port 80. I dont know why Hfs would tell you to try port 8080 but the last time i used self test and failed was a long time ago. Rejetto might have changed it in recent updates, but im not sure.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
if HFS said you to open port 8080, maybe you have port 80 busy.
some software, like skype, keep port 80 busy.
the port you see in HFS must be the same you forward on your router.

Achim

Alejandro

Hi

Before- I always had to add :8080 at the end of the IP address, but now all of a sudden
I tried to access the server adding :8080, but it didn't work so I thought the elecricity went out at home or something - when I got home though, everything was normal with the pc - I tried accessing without :8080 and it worked.

How come all of a sudden I don't need :8080? ???

Offline bacter

• Operator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
perhaps you changed the port to 80. This is the default port for http on the web and you need not to add :80.

your computer has no brain - use your own !

Alejandro

Is it possible the ISP did something because I just checked my browser history and yesterday when I accessed HFS I had to add :8080 and today I don't ... weird

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
when you don't set it manually, HFS tries 80 first, then 8080.
for some reason 80 was not working, but now it is, and so HFS decided to switch automatically.