rejetto forum

diff template for photo gallery

radd · 17 · 9992

Offline radd

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
i found something cool in the net today, which i think will be wonderful if we can have it in our template for photo gallery

http://www.agilepartners.com/blog/2005/12/07/iphoto-image-resizing-using-javascript/

it has slider which will resize image preview directly! do you think we can have it in our template?
terayon, tog?

Offline Giant Eagle

• Tireless poster
  • >=3 RAWR!
    • View Profile
    • RAWR-Designs.com
Looks very nice :O, ill consider inputting it into Terayon

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
I just want to specify a thing, for those who may misunderstood.
This doesn't create thumbnails on the fly. The image is downloaded as it is (little if you have thumbnails, if you don't have thumbnails ready), and then resized.

Offline TSG

• Operator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
    • RAWR-Designs
Ye its kinda useless, sorry to ruin the buzz. But there is no point. It requires downloading the full image size. Which defeats the purpose of a preview.

Maybe next holidays i will make a Diff Template gallery view for the ToG, i might release a quick sub release before the end of next week with minor updates... but 2.9.1 will be the final one until i get the time to work on the template again.

I do however look forward to feedback and ideas for the template :) but just remember with your ideas. The ToG is a lightweight template. We don't want to just bloat it up and reduce the performance and download times excessively. This is a problem for many people and i have paid a lot of attention to the size of each pageload.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2007, 01:11:03 PM by That_Stevens_Guy »

Offline Giant Eagle

• Tireless poster
  • >=3 RAWR!
    • View Profile
    • RAWR-Designs.com
Ye its kinda useless, sorry to ruin the buzz. But there is no point. It requires downloading the full image size. Which defeats the purpose of a preview.

ToG and Terayon have a thumbnail and Preview generator, Placing them in an image gallery and have a scale option might not be that bad.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2007, 01:06:46 PM by Giant Eagle »

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile

no, it works also with thumbnails (the demo you see is running with thumbnails inded). the point is that you must create the thumbnails, and then you can use that script. just telling people that it is not a "complete" solution.

Offline radd

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
i know about that thumbnail things. what i'm interested here is the way that site present its image. of course we need to create thumbnails (which i still try to find a way that suits me), we can set the size to let say half of the size client can view (half of the slider) with low quality. in my opinion, the file size will be absolutely smaller than the original.
i know already ToG stress more on performance, but i also love some kind of interesting thing in my page. hehe.. im going to study this thing

Offline Giant Eagle

• Tireless poster
  • >=3 RAWR!
    • View Profile
    • RAWR-Designs.com

Offline radd

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
i sure will check it out. actually ive tried download it before when u guys just released it in this forum. however, it not work, i forgot what the message. second thing, i use acdsee, i dont think i have to change to irfan unless u can prove to me irfan is better. i dont know actually. hehe

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile

Offline Giant Eagle

• Tireless poster
  • >=3 RAWR!
    • View Profile
    • RAWR-Designs.com
the program requires Irfan to execute its commands and thus create thumbnails and previews, i choose for irfan because it has a lot of command line parameters and because it is free. The Thumbnail and Preview generator does not visually launch Irfan view in anyway, its completely automated. This means you dont even have to use ifran if you dont want to, just put in in the same folder as the T&P Gen and leave it as it is.

Offline radd

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
im working on this, now im having some problem. 1st thing, if u can see, thumbnails used in the page should be in same size. i can see this will cause trouble to make "potrait" thumb from "pictures."

1. my question is, can irfanview resize image and crop it at the same time at the same time? i dont really care if the thumbs dont show whole image as long as it keep its proportional ratio. (i hated seeing picture that stretched to fit a size, i prefer to crop)

2. another thing, what about other file types (not pictures). what im thinking, whether to hide all the other types (use masking) or autoset this page to sort all images at the top and the rest at the bottom, so that the rest can present as table with 100% width and not appear between images. (im not sure whether u can uderstand what im saying.. haha). but is it possible to set the page automagically sort images at first (not bmp-doc-jpg-mpg-png but bmp-jpg-png-doc-mpg)?

3. the last thing is, i realized that we cannot put caption for these thumb because it will interupt when we zoom it out (using slider). so it might be a good idea to make the caption in tooltip.

haha.. i wonder this thing worth it or not... ::) anybody there going to support me?

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
1. yes, on many files. click "batch conversion".

2. it's "possible". since you can create a template where all files are put in a javascript list, then javascript would do anything with such list. (hey templaters, did you ever think that?)
but as you see, it's very hard for a normal user.

3.  ._o

Offline radd

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
1. prob no1 done

but as you see, it's very hard for a normal user.
... but im only normal user.. :-(
can anyone teach me how to do it? chrno maybe?

._o
what's that? i dont understand..