rejetto forum

Where are settings saved?

Offline Mr Wolf

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Hi to all!

First of all, I've discovered HFS lately and I think it's fantastic!

So, I wondered where the settings are saved, is there a file?
I'd need to know so that I can install HFS on several computers with the same settings
I'm Winston Wolf, I solve problems

Offline Mars

• Operator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
menu > save options ...

1) to file : hfs.ini  inside the hfs.exe directory

2) & 3) inside the registry

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
ciao, c'รจ il forum italiano se vuoi :)

for your needs, saving options to file is the best, so you can just copy the exe and the ini file.
you may also need to distribute the file system, and in such case the vfs file will go along.

Offline Mr Wolf

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Thanks!

AH!AH!AH! I'm writing here in English... because this section is more "attended"

Ok... just a few questions: but when I start HFS and there's no ini file in it's folder... where does HFS find the settings?
I'm asking this because when I delete it to put a new version, for example, I see it keeps the settings, so are they stored in the registry?
Wouldn't it be better to store them directly in an ini file?

And the information about the the user allowed to access the folder are also saved in the ini file, right?
But username and password are both encrypted, right?

HFS cannot be started as service? And the option "Run HFS when Windows starts" is not present in the ini file, however, right?

Thanks a lot for your work! HFS solved my problems to transfer files! It's a fantastic program!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 11:36:17 PM by Mr Wolf »
I'm Winston Wolf, I solve problems

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
Ok... just a few questions: but when I start HFS and there's no ini file in it's folder... where does HFS find the settings?

it has embedded default settings.

I'm asking this because when I delete it to put a new version, for example, I see it keeps the settings, so are they stored in the registry?
Wouldn't it be better to store them directly in an ini file?

as you can see by yourself, and by the mars reply, HFS lets you choose where to store the options.
registry is used by default, because i consider it more convenient for basic users.

And the information about the the user allowed to access the folder are also saved in the ini file, right?

no, because it's not the account to refer the folders, but folders refer the account.
so, permissions are inside the file system.

But username and password are both encrypted, right?

they are encoded, so you cannot read them easily just having in front of you.
every saved password is not safe if it is stolen.
i will consider using hashes in the future.

HFS cannot be started as service?

no, but there are some softwares that partially compensate for this. search the forum if you are interested.

And the option "Run HFS when Windows starts" is not present in the ini file, however, right?

exactly. HFS search the start up folder (esecuzione automatica) for a link named "hfs".

Thanks a lot for your work! HFS solved my problems to transfer files! It's a fantastic program!

prego, e benvenuto :)