rejetto forum

Another one needing help

Guest · 10 · 6776

Flanker

I've forwarded my port on my D-Link DI-524 Router using PortForward.com's directions.

However, still no one can access my page.

Just looking for anything that could help me.

Curious question - I'm not too knowledgeable about the workings of the Internet. Isn't 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.0.101 everyone's router's IP? So how does mine distinguish itself from everyone else's? Port #?

Offline BrianP

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Flanker. The 192.168. numbers are your internal IP numbers. Any machine in your network also behind your router/firewall would use those numbers to find you. If you're trying to open up to people outside of that (on the internet), then you need to find your external (WAN) IP number. That is the one given to you by your service provider. Open HFS, click on "Menu", scroll down to "IP Address" and then slide over to and click on "Find external address". Check you address bar at the top of the screen now and it should have your external address in it.

Flanker

Thank you for the reply. I have tried that as well, and I cannot even access the page myself. The Self-Test fails, by the way. But like I said, I've forwarded the port.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
Curious question - I'm not too knowledgeable about the workings of the Internet. Isn't 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.0.101 everyone's router's IP? So how does mine distinguish itself from everyone else's? Port #?

that is a local address, valid only locally.
when in your family someone calls "peter", peter answers, even though in the world there are millions peters.

The Self-Test fails, by the way. But like I said, I've forwarded the port.

fails, but what does it say exactly?
remember you can do CTRL+C to copy the dialog message.

Flanker

---------------------------
HFS 2.0a
The test failed: server does not answer.

You may be behind a router or firewall.
OK   

I have already followed the directions outlined here; http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Dlink/DI-524/Http_File_Server-HFS.htm

And have done this;

Flanker

Sorry about the double post, but I just read your post in another threads and got HFS 2.1. I was using 2.0a before, I believe. Now when I self-test, I get.

HFS 2.1
The test failed: server does not answer.

You are behind a router.
Ensure it is configured to forward port 80 to your computer
OK   

But as you can see, I've already forwarded Post 80 and port 35000.

Just out of curiosity, HFS1 is the program name I use, correct?

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
Just out of curiosity, HFS1 is the program name I use, correct?
just HFS.

try the "browse it" button. does it work?

Flanker

I did not find a "browse it" button in HFS.

Unless you were referring to the "browse" button next to the URL. That lets me download the file, yes. However, the self-test still fails after my changing the program name to HFS from HFS1.

Flanker

By the way, congratulations on 4000 posts. It must take a lot of patience to put up with the many problems that people come here with. And you also have an excellent program here, my experience notwithstanding.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
yes, i just meant that.
anyway, i can suggest 2 tries

1) try using port 35000. if it works, then it is your ISP blocking port 80.

2) try using another server, like baby web server.
if it works, than it is an HFS problem.
if it doen't work, than the problem is in your router&firewall.