rejetto forum

Pre-veiw Speed VS. Download/Upload Speed

Offline CivicScootin

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Quick question that's been bugging me for a few months now..

Why are pre-view speeds higher (ruffly 1MB/s on my end -running server-) then upload or even regular downloads?..

My norm for downloads hit around 200KB/s while uploads are around 120KB/s..

I can understand about upload speeds being rather low (even though 120KB/s is to low for my ISP witch is running on a 2MB/s Upload connection & a 10MB/s Download connection :'()..

The thing that seems odd is on a normal download shouldn't the speed equal the same as a pre-view download speed?..

Maybe a dumb question but I just had to ask as I did not see it within the searches here..

Thanks,
Civic

EDIT: If it really matters or not Im using the latest beta (as of date posted) witch is #266
NOTE: does not matter what templet I use as all downloads/uploads are slow on my end..
Limits are all disabled with in VFS..

*Any suggestions or pointers on why streams are faster then normal Down/Uploads*
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 04:39:03 AM by CivicScootin »

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
what's pre-view speed?
if you think you are getting low speed with HFS, you should test your real speed at www.speedtest.net
Then you can post the result

Offline CivicScootin

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
what's pre-view speed?
I guess I should have specified my issue..

When speaking of "Pre-View" speed Im referring to the previewing of videos & music (streaming media in other words)...

As for my bandwidth:
My bandwidth is fine and the matter of my bandwidth from the comparison of a "pre-view" & normal download is irrelevant as I would think the "pre-view" and download speed should be the same..

However within "pre-viewing" media does the media in self buffer?..
Would that explain why the speeds are slower with in downloads compared to streaming media?..

Ether way I do not believe something is correct as both download anyways in the end~

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
i could understand if the "streaming" was slower, but yours is higher, so i have no explanation for your problem.
there's no difference for HFS.
streaming is how you treat the downloaded stuff, while downloading, not the downloading itself.