rejetto forum

Starting HFS from command line without GUI

Guest · 9 · 4156

Toni

Is it possible to start hfs without a GUI from the command line? I would like to start hfs on my linux box that has no X-server running. Maybe with a command like "wine 'hfs.exe --no-gui file.to.share file.to.share.2'".

I am not familiar with delphi programming language so I am not sure how easy or difficult this would be to program.

Is there a similar program to HFS available for linux natively?

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
hi tony.
i don't know if HFS will start without the x-server, truly no idea.
but you can add the the files via command line, so you can try.

i once heard of an http daemon that will publish the file in a similar way.
since you would not use any of the HFS features, such daemon should better fit your needs.

Toni

Wine crashes when you try to start HFS without a running X-server.
       "Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
       Make sure that your X server is running and that $DISPLAY is set correctly."

But luckily I just found a good tool to do what I want called woof. (google "Woof - simply exchange files" for homepage)
This tool seems to be just right.

Thank you for your quick reply anyway.

ps. I really like your software  :D

Offline Dewdman42

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Just a suggestion, if HFS had a non-gui mode of operation it would really be be beneficial to me.  I used to use HFS on a windows box, but now I'm using a linux server with no gui.  HFS is so great.  Everything should be configurable via config file or through HTTP perhaps.  But if there was a mode to start HFS without GUI, then I would run it with wine on my linux box and be very very happy.  I have not found anything else out there that works quite as well as HFS for serving files through HTTP. 

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
you can do many things without using the GUI of HFS.
just tell what operations you want to get and i'll tell you if and how can be done.

version 3 will run on Linux too.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 12:50:15 PM by rejetto »

Offline Dewdman42

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
for me to be able to use it in a server environment, the app needs to start WITHOUT a gui.  I am trying to use it with Wine on linux.  When I run on a linux machine that has X server running, then the gui is displayed and everything is fine.  if I try to run on a simpler machine with no XServer, then there will be error and the program will not start. 

I realize that the GUI is not neccessary really to use the program, its just a convenience.  But what I'm saying is that as long as the program always tries to show a gui, then the program cannot run on a windowless server.  If you had an option that runs the program in command line mode, without a gui.....then it could be used.

By the way, with the gui, it runs very well on wine.  Unfortunately my linux server does not support any GUI's.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile

Offline Dewdman42

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
yea I know, I was just asking for it.  :-)

Honestly I've been looking all over and HFS is the best at what it does.  I know you are working on next gen HFS, so hopefully you will do this one in more of a cross platform way.  ideally code that builds on other platforms, but less ideally at least if you have the main program run as a command line deamon with web UI, then it could be run under wine on linux and OSX.

thanks for listening

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
version 3 will be cross platform and you will admin it via web