No Download Option

Offline maverick

• Tireless poster
  • Computer Solutions
    • View Profile

No Download = enabled for Real Folders
File Type = mp3
Status = Broken

I'm not sure what build this happened in.  Just noticed the problem.  With No Download enabled, it works correctly with all other file types I tried, except for mp3 files.
maverick

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
it works for me
try with a "clean" hfs (resetting options, after you backuped your hfs.ini) and see if the problem persists

Offline maverick

• Tireless poster
  • Computer Solutions
    • View Profile
Cleared options & quit which removed hfs.ini.  Started HFS with a blank vfs.  Created a real folder.  Enabled 'No Download' for that folder.  Put a mp3 file and others in it.  Clicked on that mp3 file and got the browser popup asking to open or save the file  ** instead of **  getting the HFS [deny] error message.  All other file types I checked are working properly.

Problem persists here.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2007, 06:25:20 AM by maverick »
maverick

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
ok, that was the point: i didn't "put" the mp3 file, it was already there for me.

It is not a bug. "No download" is not recursive, you must specify for every file. (using multiselect)

The reason why it acts as recursive with real folders is because you cannot select files in it.... we are talking about the files on disk not shown in the VFS.
All things you see in the VFS must be flagged as "No download".

I understand this may be not obvious, but the problem will disappear with HFS 3.

Offline maverick

• Tireless poster
  • Computer Solutions
    • View Profile
ok, that was the point: i didn't "put" the mp3 file, it was already there for me.

I think you misunderstood.  When I said "put" - that was a test folder I created on my harddrive that needed some files in it first so I could test.

So, the files were already there for me too when I tested 'no download' with hfs.  I could also use an already established folder on my harddrive that has mp3 files in it. 

The reason why it acts as recursive with real folders is because you cannot select files in it.... we are talking about the files on disk not shown in the VFS.

Yes, I know that.  I'll check further.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 10:26:45 AM by maverick »
maverick

Offline Foggy

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
I just created 2 test folders, 1 inside the first and put an mp3 in each. added the root folder to HFS as a real folder and selected no download. I got the access denied error screen and no download for both mp3 files.

Maverick I suggest to you that maybe you missed something when clearing all options you missed one, maybe you need to try with a new VFS aswell (if you didnt the first time). I know it took me a while the other day to get a clean HFS to test some other bug. Is it possible to try with a second computer.

Rejetto this gave me an idea to include some key or command line switch to use when starting hfs to make it start with all defaults, no user defined vfs/options. It would greatly help with troubleshooting bugs.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
to get a clean HFS is very easy: just hold SHIFT while it starts

Offline maverick

• Tireless poster
  • Computer Solutions
    • View Profile
'no download' feature - real folders - mp3 files ONLY - feature broken

... I found the cause of the problem ...

The following is what I found and I have no idea why this caused the problem I have described in this thread.  I can reproduce this problem anytime I want now that I know what is causing it ...

1.  For years I have been accessing my site 'locally' using my no-ip address without any problems by making a simple addition to my windows host file located in c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc  (Win XP Pro SP2)
127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.0.1 my no-ip address

2.  The problem I described in this thread is 'very real' when accessing my site locally using my no-ip address.  I now have no idea why the 'no download' feature was broken for mp3 files only located in real folders.  After years of running HFS, and doing all kinds of testing, this is the first time I have come across something like this that is totally related to the address I browse my site locally with.

3.  Accessing my site locally with 127.0.0.1 or localhost produced no problems whatsoever with 'no download' in real folders for any file type including mp3.  The [deny] error message appeared for all as it should.

4.  I have no idea why accessing my site locally using my no-ip address would cause the 'no download' problem I described in this thread.  I don't know why they would even be related.  Maybe somebody here could explain this to me!  (scratching head). 

5.  * This now makes me wonder if the problem persists when a remote user gets access to the site using the same no-ip address.  (not able to test at this time).

« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 07:46:45 PM by maverick »
maverick

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
give me your noip address, and i think i'll be able to reproduce the problem

Offline maverick

• Tireless poster
  • Computer Solutions
    • View Profile

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
sadly, that's not enough to reproduce the bug :(
see...

Offline maverick

• Tireless poster
  • Computer Solutions
    • View Profile
Here is what I see browsing first with no-ip address and second browsing with 127.0.0.1.  Same configuration in both examples using the same mp3 file.  The only difference is the IP address I'm browsing with. 

« Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 12:19:16 AM by maverick »
maverick

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
i do believe you :)
it's a pity i can't reproduce the problem

Offline maverick

• Tireless poster
  • Computer Solutions
    • View Profile
It's been determined that its a local issue only.  I'll close the thread. 
maverick

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
ok, let me know if you eventually find more