rejetto forum

hfs 2.1d

Guest · 9 · 3756

shadow4ku1

hi im a new user to this hfs my main question is how do i increase the bandwidth for the person whom is getting from me as they seem only to get at around 15kps and im on an 8meg line??

please help ;)

Offline maverick

• Tireless poster
  • Computer Solutions
    • View Profile
You are probably referring to your max download speed.  What is your upload speed?  Your upload speed is the important one here as that is the speed that would affect your users.  When they download from you, you are actually uploading to them.
maverick

shadow4ku1

ive no idea of my upload speed i just want the max i can give to ppl im only allowing one by one d/loads until i learn more about this new toy :)

Offline maverick

• Tireless poster
  • Computer Solutions
    • View Profile
ive no idea of my upload speed

Contact your ISP.  It's probably around 128 kb/s if your users are noticing a speed of 15 kB/s as you say in your first post above.  (128 / 8 = 16).
« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 08:51:43 PM by maverick »
maverick

shadow4ku1

thankyou for the advice,im getting up loads now of 35kbs to one user and im now wondering if there is any way of opening the bottle neck to give the most i can?
i would probably be wondering what the hell ive either done wrong or if i have configured the programme correct but not knowing what im doing is like a leap of faith :)

Offline TSG

• Operator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
    • RAWR-Designs
Have you configured your firewall and port forwards correctly? i found i got better speeds when i had a play with some settings in the firewall... other than that i cant think of anything else that would cause it.

shadow4ku1

yes ive port forwarded my router so it uses 4444 it works excellent just that if one person is getting from me and ive nothing else connected to the net the max ive seen it run is at 39kbs for one folder of 12xmp3`s so i was just wondering if there is a way to open up the upload as if im d/loading i get items at 300kbs???

Offline MarkV

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
You know about asymmetric connections? Your download is a LOT faster than your upload. No way to increase your upload speed than ask your ISP to upgrade... or get a symmetric connection where up- and download speed are the same.

Example: My line is DSL 6000, means

download speed is 6016Kibit, equals 752KiB > that's what I get from the 'net
upload speed is 512Kibit, equals 64KiB > that's what other people get from me.

It doesn't matter, if FTP, HFS, P2P - practically your server is SENDING the file to the client, all they ever will get is your UPLOAD speed, which is not very much in most cases.

Ask your ISP about your upload speed if you don't know. If it's close to what your clients get from HFS, forget it. You can't improve it further.

MarkV

edit: In case you wonder what KiB really means, read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kibibyte
« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 03:43:04 PM by MarkV »
http://worldipv6launch.org - The world is different now.

Offline TCube

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
shadow4ku1, there is a fun topic which you and your friends connecting to your Hfs can try :
http://www.rejetto.com/forum/index.php?topic=4068.0

Just to make sure what's their max. dowbload speed could be.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 06:48:32 PM by TCube »
Make it idiot-proof and I will make a better idiot