rejetto forum

Im pulling my hair out!!!!!

Offline Babyblue_blanket

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Okay, heres the deal.

Verizon Fios Internet
Router - Actiontec MI424-WR firmware 4.0.16.1.56.0.10.11.6 (the latest) Hardware ver: C
Microsoft windows 7 and XP SP3

Try to follow me here,

My LOCAL IP address is statically set to 192.168.1.202
My Routers EXTERNAL IP address is 71.185.xx.xxx  This IP is not static to the best of my knowledge but doesnt really matter becuase my router is battery backed up and on 24/7

I set my computer to the routers EXTERNAL IP.  HFS Self check claims it is locating the external IP and then conducts port tests on the EXTERNAL IP, relaunches to HFS and says internet connection not working.

Computer is connected to Router Via Wireless Network card.

Computer Network Settings are as follows:(and yes, these are the settings for the wireless card not the ethernet port, being as this is how it connects to the router)

checked Use this IP Address
71.185.xx.xxx
subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Defualt gateway: Provided by ISP set to 71.xxx.xx.1
DNS provided by ISP: 71.242.xx.xx
Alternate provided by ISP: is a few digits off from the primary DNS

These settings will not allow any internet connection.  As well I have tried changing the default gateway to the local gateway and that does not work either.

I do know how to port forward, done it a thousand time.  But I cant port forward an IP address if it doesn't show as active in the router port forward menu.

No other computer, local or external can contact the EXTERNAL IP address.

All Firewall settings are disabled from the router and windows

HFS will work locally if I set it up on a static LOCAL IP, no port forwarding needed, but then I cannot access HFS when outside of the home.

Any Thoughts?
Greatly Appreciated

Babyblue
P.S. I am aware that Verizon blocks port 80 and 8080, but I cant forward to another port if the router cant see this computer on the EXTERNAL IP.

Offline bacter

• Operator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
Only your router must have your external IP address 71.185..., the computer you use as server has to be configured like any lan computer on a local network, with LAN settings 192.168... , there is no difference for this if you connect wireless or with cable to your router.

As you have 'a thousend time' ports forwarded, perhaps you have learned that  there is something called NAT (Network Address Translation table). So, for example, if you connect wireless (or throung cabled ethernet) with local ip 192.168.1.202 to your router, and your server uses port 6044, the entry (to forward the port) in the NAT table has to be:
Local ip: 192.168.1.202 , (starting) Port local:6044 , (starting)Port wan:6044

Wirh this, when a request from wan to 71.185...:6044 comes to your router, this request will be routed to 192.168.1.202:6044 and not to any other device on your lan.

Naturally from within your lan, you have to access your server with http://192.168.1.202:6044 or http://computername:6044

your computer has no brain - use your own !

Offline Babyblue_blanket

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Still a no go.

The setting now are as follows.

Server:

IP statically set to 192.168.1.202
  Subnet 255.255.255.0
  Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1
  DNS and and alternate set properly

HFS set to use IP 192.168.1.202:2354

Router: Screen shots attached

NAT table set up for Device IP 192.168.1.202, Public IP 71.185.xx.xxx (the routers external IP), port forward enabled, TCP any - 2354, Forward to port 2354, rule should occur always.  I even setup a port trigger for HFS TCP any to 2354. Just for redundancy.

Still failing self test and not accessible externally?

Would love to donate If I can get this working!!!

Offline Babyblue_blanket

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Well, its official, after much research it has been determined that Verizon blocks and filters all incoming requests for HTTP, thus putting an end to HFS in certain areas of the FIOS roam.  Rumor has it they may be lifting the block on 80 and 8080, but not lifting the filtering for inbound HTTP.  Big time bummer.  Somebody should ask them why they dont limit semi quazi illegal p2p but they will block completely legal HTTP. 

Yet another way to stick it to the man.
Babyblue