rejetto forum

2 Computers LAN - problem with port

Guest · 16 · 11649

martinezq

I have DSL modem without firewall  ( there is no router and for now no firewall)
connected to computer "A"

my second computer "B" have internet trough "A"

on "A"  Hfs working fine - how i can use it on "B"

what must i change in "A" or in connection or in what to do this ?

Offline TSG

• Operator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
    • RAWR-Designs
So you use "B" on a bridged connection on "A"?

You still need to give "A" a valid static IP address behind the modem, then you should be able to connect on that IP to computer "A" from "B". "B" must be on a different IP to "A".

Without knowing the IP of "A" how do you plan to connect?

Offline Giant Eagle

• Tireless poster
  • >=3 RAWR!
    • View Profile
    • RAWR-Designs.com
If this is correct:

"Internet" --> "DSL Modem" --> "Computer A" --> "Computer B"

Then computer A must have 2 NIC's and Network sharing enabled. Also, computer A should have 2 IP addresses. The first is your internet IP and the second would be your network IP (default IP is 192.168.0.1).

So to contact computer A from computer B, you should use that network IP. Open up your browser and type in the following: http://192.168.0.1/, it should work.

Offline Fysack

• Tireless poster
  • present picture
    • View Profile
    • Admin
100 x (That Stevens Guy + Giant Eagle)
_________________________________   =  :-* xy

Fysack
GOD CAN READ YOUR MIND

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
you should specify how you got internet working on computer B, because it depends on that.

Mike

I have the same problem.

This is how it works for me: Computer A is connected to the internet while my computer B is connected through computer A to get internet. I can access HFS locally but when I put in our outside IP address I cannot connect.

So there must be an option to configure on computer A so when the external IP address is entered it can go through computer A and access HFS on my computer B.

I dont see this as simple giving both computers static addresses but I can try.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
Just use internal IP address instead of external one.
That's the solution.

Mike

Well I need to use the external IP since I want to access the files over the internet.

So I set up both computers in the LAN to have static IPs but I still cannot access HFS outside of the LAN.

This is what I assume I need to do but I do not know how since there is no router involved:
Since Computer A connects directly to the internet and Computer B connects to the internet through A (and has the HFS server on it) I need to set up Computer A to forward a port to Computer B, so when people try to access it through the internet it will connect them to computer B.

Does anyone know how to port forward WITHOUT a router? Is there some kind of software to use?

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
if you are not using a proxy, then your computer A is acting as router.
a router can also be software.
winXP has a routing software in it, the one used by the "shared connection".
you should specify *how* you get internet on B.

Mike

Computer B gets internet through an ethernet cable to A. I have a static IP set up on it.

I don't know what else you want to know?

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
i didn't mean physically, but at a software level: proxy, bridge, nat, windows connection sharing, etc.

Mike

Sorry

Its through the windows shared internet. No other software is being used besides windows

Mike

I tried that and still cannot get it to work. I am also trying to get VNC server to work(same problem, I can get it to work when i type in the internal IP and port).

I am typing in my internal IP of computer B where it says computer hosting the service, I am trying to use port 5801. I actually got the HFS self-test to work after doing this step but am still unable to connect using the external ip and port.

thanks

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
if the self-test works, then HFS is working over the internet.
use the external IP only over the internet.
with your LAN PCs you must use internal IP.

Mike

Yup, I've been testing it on my LAN with the external IP.. never thought to test it on another computer. I'm going to go try, I'm pretty sure its going to work though.