rejetto forum

Is there a manual/full readme for Rawr Player (Install question)?

Offline Karmashock

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Sorry, I'm new to HTTP and only vaguely know how this stuff works. I'm using the Rawr-template-.0.1.1 and would like to integrate Rawrplayer 0.2.1 into the page so that I can view movies and listen to music through the page.

I couldn't find even basic install instructions in the Zip, so I'm wondering if I'm just missing something obvious? Anyway, though fairly clueless, I can take instructions well. So if there's an install guide around or it can be explained without putting any of you to great inconvenience I'd appreciate your help.

EDIT: I tried dumping the rawr player contents into the "template\players" folder but that only seems to screw it up more.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 03:27:46 PM by Karmashock »

Offline Kremlin

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
It's quite a bit more complex than that as is uses also some javascript and minor features in the template file to trigger it, anyways.. if it starts to become to complicated why not try the RAWR Designs templates instead? Also there is a new rawr player coming out soon with more file type compatibility.

Offline Karmashock

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
I am using one of the rawr design templates. how do you install the player into the rawr design templates?

Offline TSG

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
    • RAWR-Designs
I understand what you are trying to do.

Kremlin is correct, there is small things you have to change everywhere. I have got the new, RAWR-Player-1.0.0, an unreleased final version working in the templates. However I was waiting for our new website to come online to release the new builds. It seems people are getting impatient, and I can understand. Richard keeps stalling with the new website, cause he wants to do it properly, but does not have the time lately. I haven't spoken to him in a few days. I will ask him how he is going with it, I always do ;)

We were aiming for last weekend for an initial launch... but that didn't happen.

As for a full readme, there was a time. But when we decided to update the website to add more features, it all got put on hold. On the upside once the new website goes live and the tutorial section comes online, there will be full tutorials, video and text based, with the ability to comment. Just hang in there, we'll get to it eventually.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 09:58:22 AM by That_Stevens_Guy »

Offline Karmashock

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Again, I take instruction well... If it's not too inconvenient, you could throw the correct syntax and placement of code at me. I actually do know quite a bit of programming... just none of it in webpages.

I'm really interested in getting streaming working.

Out of curiosity, does the server do any extra work when it streams or is it entirely handled by the client? Specifically, is the server pushing a program (flash/java) to the client system which is further instructed to open a file on the webserver. Or does the webserver itself have to do some of the decoding? Just curious.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
the server just gives the file that the browser (or the player) requests.
so, no, it doesn't take an active part in it, and doesn't know you are "streaming".
it's just downloading.

Offline Karmashock

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
the server just gives the file that the browser (or the player) requests.
so, no, it doesn't take an active part in it, and doesn't know you are "streaming".
it's just downloading.
Good, just making sure. Some streaming solutions require the server to take an active role in decoding which is frequently a burden to say nothing of problematic. So is it entirely flash that does the decoding or does it use codecs stored on the client machine?

Offline TSG

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
    • RAWR-Designs
I'm pretty sure the last builds of our templates use the build before the one you are trying to install. It already works for FLV and MP3... just not MP4, MOV, 3GP, M4A etc etc, whatever containers use the MPEG4 H264 codec.

And yes, Flash is what handles the file, HFS just sends the file when Flash requests it.

Offline Karmashock

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
This is a really cool idea.

You know, with a little polish this program would be worth a lot of money. A shake and bake web file server with video/audio streaming capability.

It's the sort of thing you might want to pitch to a bigger company in partnership with HFS. I know you're receiving a lot of free community coding help, but I would think all that means is that you have to cut them in for piece of the action.

It would seem elementary to have all sorts of custom addons that could be set to a standard so they could be installed and uninstalled with a simple GUI wrapper. With this, everyone could have their own personal webpage hosted on their own computer with all sorts of specialty features... and no hosting fees.

Obviously that's not ideal for any high traffic site but you can see the use for it on a personal or even small business level. Anyway, I look forward to your next release. You guys are doing great work here.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
a couple of companies bought from me a license to make a commercial product out of HFS.

at the moment for me it is good this way.

Offline Karmashock

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
 :) Well, I'm going to donate some money to you. It seems like you could do some really interesting things with this program.

Keep up the good work. :)

Edit: your paypal button doesn't work... help me out... I'm trying to give you money :D :P

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
thank you for considering donating :)
the button is working for me, so at the moment i don't know how to solve.

my suggestion is that you go on www.paypal.com and send the money to rejetto@rejetto.com

Offline Karmashock

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
I get this:
An Error Has Occurred!
Session verification failed. Please try logging out and back in again, and then try again.
It could just be me... I'll see if I can send it the other way.

Offline Karmashock

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Ok, sent you 30 USD. I'm not even sure I'll use this that much in it's current form but I like what you guys are doing with it.

PLEASE develop it more. This thing could be THE internet app. It just needs a little more love and a lot more polish. You need the polish to sell to the personal and small business market that usually doesn't have professional IT staff. You'd be surprised at how low tech many people are and how heavily they rely on overpriced, unreliable, and restricted solutions only because they're simple.

A simple example of this is wedding photos. Recently, I attended a wedding and couple asked everyone to forward their wedding photos to an internet service. Needless to say, the service required everyone to download and install software on their computers just to upload files, the files were restricted in resolution/format, and the end result was that most of the people that wanted to upload photos were either frustrated by the process or simply couldn't get through all the nonsense. And that's just for a simple picture upload/download system.

What you need are a series of plugins based on common website code that can be dynamically added or removed from the page via some kind of GUI loader on the server end. More advanced users will customize the page further, but it would seem that aside from some performance and scalability issues the system has no limits in the depth of features.

Anyway, again love what you're doing here and keep up the good work.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
a huge thank you for your donation and suggestions.
i'm trying to keep all basic things easy, and aim to make it easier.
i have many ideas about it, but some of them takes a lot of time/work, and i can spend only my spare time on it. :(