rejetto forum

Only in Safe Mode...

Offline Wandererofmyst

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Hello everybody.

I have been trying for days to get HFS to work but the self-test will not work unless I am on Safe Mode. While on Safe Mode it works like it should, but once I am back to normal boot, it will tell me the server does not answer... Port is forwarded correctly, I have made my IP static as well. My ISP isn't blocking it since I have used this software on my other computers. I am on a wireless connection through a laptop. I am out of ideas at this point. Although I believe there's a service that it's probably the culprit here. Does anybody know of a service that might be blocking my ports form being forwarded? Or blocking them? I already tried turning on Firewall and adding HFS and also completely turned it off but no go.

Thank you, help is greatly appreciated.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
1. is the laptop acting as a router? so HFS is not running on that laptop?

2. self-test is not reliable lately. It may give "false negatives" (never false positives). So even if you get an error, try differently, with www.canyouseeme.org

3. generally it's security software that's going to block other software (especially servers)

Offline Wandererofmyst

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
1. is the laptop acting as a router? so HFS is not running on that laptop?

2. self-test is not reliable lately. It may give "false negatives" (never false positives). So even if you get an error, try differently, with www.canyouseeme.org

3. generally it's security software that's going to block other software (especially servers)

Hi Rejetto. Thank you for the reply.

1) No, the laptop is connected to my Netgear router and HFS is running on this laptop. It only works on Safe Mode, which leads me to think there is some kind of service that is blocking me.

2) canyouseeme also gives me port error every time with any port. The difference with canyouseeme is that on Safe Mode it still give me error, but HFS works regardless.

3) I have an antivirus that I am not using because it gives me too many false positives. I will try to uninstall it and will let you know the outcome.

***** EDIT *****
The problem was my antivirus. I didn't have it running, but its service and drivers were running anyway. Thank you for the help! Problem solved!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 02:09:07 PM by Wandererofmyst »

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile

Offline Wandererofmyst

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
can you say the antivirus' name?

Yes, COMODO Internet Security.

EDIT
There's a new problem. I have tried sending files to two different friends and it cuts every time. The files are 230mb. I don't know why...
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 09:23:02 PM by Wandererofmyst »

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile

Offline Wandererofmyst

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
"cuts" ? does the download complete?

Sorry. No, the download does not complete. It would be downloading at reasonable speed and the next second the speed just reads "--" and then it just drops.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
enable logging of disconnections, to see who's disconnecting who

Offline Wandererofmyst

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
enable logging of disconnections, to see who's disconnecting who

Thank you. I changed ports and the problem seems to be fixed. Thought I want to report that HFS is again giving me the no port open error. canyouseeme reports the port closed as well. I know when this happened, and it might help in troubleshooting this. I had linked my IP to a No-IP  address and all was working fine. I realized that when I try to pass the link to my friend on FB it would says I couldn't cos it wad spam... So I went ahead and made a new link to my IP. Then went to hfs and set it up again. I sent the link through FB to a different computer at home and could access it no problem. Then I try to access it on the computer that is actually running hfs and it was a no-go. I went ahead and deleted the old address linnked to my IP from both, hfs and my No-IP account. Still, I cannot access my server from any computer, including mine, only when it is locahost. HFS now it's using only my "localhost" and will not recognize my port as open. Neither will canyouseeme. Do you have any idea what happened? I'm really sorry to keep on requesting help, it's just giving me a hard time. I do love this software.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 06:58:49 PM by Wandererofmyst »

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
since you are behind a router, you HAVE TO use different addresses for external and internal usage.
That's perfectly normal.