rejetto forum

One connection slow - two connections fast?

Offline hackin8

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
I should start by saying I have no idea if this is related to HFS or some other phenomenon, but I am looking for suggestions.

I have a PC running HFS - very happy with performance and everything works well. 

I have two Internet connections - one 80/20 fibre and one 7/0.5 ADSL - both with static IP's.  Both are connected through a dual wan firewall running pfSense under BSD. Port 80 on both is forwarded to the same PC.

For almost all my users they can dl from me at full speed through either or both connections - limited either by my bandwidth or theirs - no problem. If they DL through both connections at the same time they can max out both of them. (Again subject to the connection speed limits)

BUT

One user in Australia has a weird problem. If they download through the first connection it starts at 1MB/s (Their limit). After a short while it reduces to about 80-90KB/s. Sometimes it will then increase back to 1MB/s for a few secs, before dropping back down.
HOWEVER
If they start a second download from the other connection at the same time the first one increases to 1MB/s and stays there - so both of them run at the maximum rate. Stopping the second connection causes the first one to reduce from 1MB/s back to 80-90KB/s

I should add that the graph showing the rate is varied - not showing the "flat top" that happens if the rate is limited by something artificially.

Any thoughts as to why?  And how to overcome / avoid?

TIA
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 04:49:46 PM by hackin8 »

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile

Offline hackin8

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile