rejetto forum

Feature request: receive/send buffer setting (for extra optimization)

Offline psyxakias

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Hello,

I have been using HFS for personal usage (after a friend's suggestion) for a while and I have been very satisfied. I really like the user-friendly interface, the features and especially the low resources needed & easy installation. Instead of spending a lot of of time for installing, configuring and optimizing another daemon (like Apache or IIS), HFS is ideal for personal usage when you want to share a few files with some friends.

However, there is something that has been bothering me (and my friend who suggested me HFS) for a while and I'm surprised that HFS hasn't covered it yet. I have not found a way (if there is, please call me dumb and show me) to configure receive/send buffer inside the daemon in order to optimize file transfers, like most daemons do. Several daemons (especially file-transfer related), like FTP and WEB servers, have some setting (in bytes) to manually adjust the receive and the send buffer of the TCP connections which REALLY helps people with high-latency issues in order to succeed maximum performance with just 1-2 TCP connections.

Using a 20 Mbps broadband connection, I installed HFS and another daemon into two different regions far away from the downloader's connection. The download speeds were very low with just 1 TCP connection but they were max'ing with 10-20 TCP connections. Using the other daemon (that I found yesterday, named shttpd, tiny one but almost no settings at all) the performance was exactly the same at default settings but once I adjusted shttpd's I/O buffer from 16.384 to 435.600 bytes, the performance increasement was unbelievable. I was capable to succeed maximum speed with just 1 TCP connection and I am absolutely sure that the difference was made by that setting as I performed long tests for hours, adjusting it again and again.

Finally, I'm aware that TCP connections' performance is directly related with TCP's receive window (RWIN) and you may easily analyze and optimize your RWIN using a registry editor and/or some utilities like speedguide's (http://www.speedguide.net:8080) but I still would love to see some buffer setting on HFS, as it would really help me and possibly others. Because before or even after I optimize my network's card RWIN to 435600, HFS performance still does not give me much maximum performance into a single TCP connection, as it does with daemons that have an inside setting.

Please inform me if you're planning to implement such setting into a future beta version and I'd love to test and benchmark it for you.

Thank you for your awesome work!

Regards,
psyxakias.

PS: I forgot to mention that I have already checked documentation, todo-list and didn't find anything related to my issue. While I'd like to clarify that some small donation I did earlier, has nothing to do with my feature request. I just felt to do it showing my appreciation for this software, even if I don't see my feature request implemented.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 12:34:16 AM by psyxakias »

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
the buffer in HFS is auto-sizing.
it goes from 2KB to 512KB.
as you can see from my attachment, HFS was tested locally at very high speeds. the test was made so that no disk activity had place.
The algorithm is very simple: at every time it tries to speed up 50% more than the current speed.

since you say you are experiencing low speed, i need some information. questions:
1. are you testing HFS with that 20mbps connection you said, or other?
2. can you tell me the speed of that connection, separately for download and upload.
3. what speed are you experiencing with HFS and 1 connection?
4. you says you tested another web server, much faster. what's the speed you experienced? (on the same connection you used for HFS)
5. can you have a look at CPU usage while you are sending with HFS ?

Offline psyxakias

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Hello rejetto,

I would like to thank you for your response and your interest. I have done some tests hoping they may help. Feel free to request me any further information.

Regards,
psyxakias.

*** I will name "host" the connection/pc that HFS is installed and "download" the connection/pc that performs the downloads tests ***

1 & 2) Host machine is connected into a 100 Mbps LAN (shared connection) and download into a 20 Mbps broadband (which is currently ADSL synchronized at 16 Mbps for more stability)

3) I receive 38.4 kB/sec with HFS and 1 single connection and up to 350-400 kB/sec with 10 connections
4) I receive 236 kB/sec with shttpd (with modified buffer!) and 1 connection up and up to 1.41 mB/sec with 10 connections into the other daemon
5) I monitored CPU usage accurately into all the tests and host machine never had higher than 4-5% CPU (average 1-3%) and download machine never had higher than 16% (average 8-14%)

PC/CONNECTION INFORMATION
HOST connection: 100 Mbps up/down (shared into a LAN)
DOWNLOAD connection: 16 Mbps down / 512 Kbps up
HOST CPU usage (during transfer): 1-2%
DOWNLOAD CPU usage (during transfer): 5-8%
Latency between HOST & DOWNLOAD: minimum/200ms, maximum/205ms, average/202ms
Duration of each test: 30 seconds

Notes
1. All programs were closed into both machines, keeping them completely idle
2. Host's connection is shared with other PCs (so it wasn't idle), while Download's connection was not used by other PCs

[ TESTS with 128480 RWIN on DOWNLOAD machine ]

HOST to DOWNLOAD via HFS (format= connections: speed)
1 connection: 38.4 kB/sec
2 connections: 85.0 kB/sec
3 connections: 120.1 kB/sec
4 connections: 163.2 kB/sec
5 connections: 202.7 kB/sec
6 connections: 246.1 kB/sec
7 connections: 278.5 kB/sec
8 connections: 312.6 kB/sec
9 connections: 368.8 kB/sec
10 connections: 407.4 kB/sec
NOTES: In all tests, the speed was very stable (-/+ 5 kB/sec, no spikes)

HOST to DOWNLOAD via shttpd using 1 connection (format= buffer: speed)
16384 buffer: 42.0 kB/sec
32768 buffer: 139.4 kB/sec
65536 buffer: 303.0 kB/sec
131072 buffer: 171.3 kB/sec
262144 buffer: 172.9 kB/sec
Notes: Even if I increase the buffer to anything higher, the average is about 172 kB/sec with 1 single connection

HOST to DOWNLOAD using shttpd at 131072 buffer (format= connections: speed)
2 connections: 287.7 kB/sec
3 connections: 535.1 kB/sec
4 connections: 609.1 kB/sec
5 connections: 745.9 kB/sec
6 connections: 914.2 kB/sec
7 connections: 860.9 kB/sec
8 connections: 1.27 mB/sec
9 connections: 1.29 mB/sec
10 connections: 1.20 mB/sec -- Notes: somehow it slowed down here, might was related with my connection
Notes: there were some spikes but all samples were taken only once the speed stabilized to avoid inaccurancy

HOST to download using shttpd at 262144 buffer and multiple connections (format= connections: speed)
10 connections: 1.32 mB/sec

[ TESTS with 511104 RWIN on DOWNLOAD machine ]

HOST to DOWNLOAD using multiple daemons/settings
1 connection with shttpd (262144 buffer): 236.9 kB/sec -- Notes: stable speed (performance improved from 172 kB/sec before the RWIN adjustment)
1 connection with HFS: 42.5 kB/sec -- Notes: stable speed
-
10 connections with HFS: 353.5 kB/sec -- Notes: almost stable speed
10 connections with shttpd (131072 buffer): 1.20 mB/sec -- Notes: no spikes, stable speed
10 connections with shttpd (524288 buffer): 1.41 mB/sec -- Notes: stable speed, almost maxing my connection
-
3 files x 10 connections with shttpd (524288 buffer): 1.67 mB/sec -- Notes: stable speed, maxing my connection
3 files x 10 connections with HFS: 595.6 kB/sec -- Notes: unstable speed

My conclusions
There is no doubt that there is some connection bottleneck between download and host connection (not HFS' fault at all), because I've seen some people that are physically closer to Host pc to succeed almost maximum speeds but all the people in my area have same exactly the same slow speeds as me, unless I use shttpd with modified buffer which helps me and others with similar results.

Since there isn't much I can do to improve the connection (further than complaining to ISPs for problems into specific routes, which I already did and did not really help), I was wondering if there could be some similar setting into HFS that would be "auto" by default (to have it as now) and "manual" to set my own buffer settings like I do with the other daemon. If you can even make a test version and wanna see if there's a difference, feel free to contact me, I'll be glad to test it.

Thanks again for your time looking into this.  :)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 02:58:05 AM by psyxakias »

Offline Foggy

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
Quote from: psyxakias
What is the internet connection attached to your host computers lan? more importntly what is the upload for that connection?
I'd also just like to say that youve provided lots of detailed info.

Offline psyxakias

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Quote from: psyxakias
What is the internet connection attached to your host computers lan? more importntly what is the upload for that connection?
I'd also just like to say that youve provided lots of detailed info.
Host is connected to a leased circuit link with at least 1 Gbps upstream that gets shared between several PCs. The performance inside and outside the host's network is pretty good, but the performance between download's network and host's network is kinda slow unless I optimize host's daemons. Obviously there must be some bottleneck into the ISPs between them.

I want to clear that I have no doubts that if the connection gets improved, HFS's performance will compete shttpd's, but at the moment I'd be interested (maybe other people too) to have the option to optimize HFS in order to succeed maximum speeds in every connection.

Thanks both of you for your interest :)

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
i didn't have the time to read your report yet, but in the while i want to let you know that ATM i have no idea what exactly is this buffer that would affect performance.
since communication is layered, there are many buffers just for sending.

Offline psyxakias

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
i didn't have the time to read your report yet, but in the while i want to let you know that ATM i have no idea what exactly is this buffer that would affect performance.
since communication is layered, there are many buffers just for sending.
If you ever get the chance to develop some debugging version that would allow me to test by setting each one of them in different values, I really would love to test it out (even if it's 100 different buffers ;D).

Alternatively, would it help if we check the other daemon's source since their "IO buffer" setting makes a lot of difference in my case (and many other people's in my area) or it wouldn't help at all due to different coding or it's not politically correct to track someone else's source code (even though it's open-source as well) to improve HFS?  ???

Thank you.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
If you ever get the chance to develop some debugging version that would allow me to test by setting each one of them in different values, I really would love to test it out (even if it's 100 different buffers ;D).

i may contact you there to submit possible test builds.
i would use the email you supplied with your forum account, but you can give me another one if you wish.

Alternatively, would it help if we check the other daemon's source since their "IO buffer" setting makes a lot of difference in my case (and many other people's in my area) or it wouldn't help at all due to different coding or it's not politically correct to track someone else's source code (even though it's open-source as well) to improve HFS?  ???

it's perfectly polite, but it's not quick/easy to find track the source to the wanted point.

sorry for the late answer, this problem is still in my to-do.

Offline supifox

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Hello all,

i have the same >HFS's performance will compete shttpd's, but at the moment I'd be interested (maybe other people too) to have the option to optimize HFS in order to succeed maximum speeds in every connection.<
i have hfs on VDSL from Netcologne (100MBit/10MBit down/up) hfs is limited to 150-200 KB/s down and up!

i have tested with shttpd and a much more bigger I/O buffersize like "10485760 buffer" here we have the max. speed round about ~ 1000 KB/s

I also like to know were i can change this buffersize in hfs.

PS: thx for the wonderfull software, i will donate.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile

Offline psyxakias

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
i may contact you there to submit possible test builds.
i would use the email you supplied with your forum account, but you can give me another one if you wish.
Feel free to e-mail me anytime at the e-mail address I've signed up, truly sorry for the delayed response too  ;D

i think i found the problem.
please test last build.
I will surely check it later today, thanks for your interest!  :)

Offline psyxakias

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
(HFS 2.2 #120)
1 connection: 40.9 kB/sec

(HFS 2.2a #131)
1 connection: 280.9 kB/sec
3 connections: 771.6 kB/sec

DAMN You rock, so far the difference is HUGE!!!! I will test it more a little later... Just by curiosity, what was it (if you want to share it with us) and are there any options related to it to adjust optimization even more?

SPECIAL THANKS rejetto, I'm even more impressed now.  :) :) :)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 05:58:29 AM by psyxakias »

Offline supifox

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
HFS Server on Windows XP Pro with VDSL (100MBit/10MBit down/up)

(HFS 2.2 #120)
1 connection: 150-200 kB/sec

(HFS 2.2a #131)
1 connection: 340-400 kB/sec   :D
4-5 connections: 1200-1400 kB/sec   ;D

very good work rejetto!!!

thx a lot..........

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
very nice :)
and this is get with automatic configuration.
i don't know a better automatic way for now, but i can introduce a setting for the buffer size in next build.

Offline supifox

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
yes, this is get with automatic configuration on Windows XP Pro!!

yes please, introduce a setting for the buffer size in next build.   :)