rejetto forum

PHP frontend - Any suggestions?

Offline mrprozac

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
    • CCSEindhoven
hi,

I'm currently developing a small php script for HFS.

I started this small project because i hate to edit the HTML everytime i want to make a notice, or post a message. Therefor i'm gonna use PHP with MySQL (and maybe Apache Derby in the future).

I am working on the following features:
- News/Announcement system
- File announcement (a table with latest changes to the site content)

I've also made a install script (working partially) which reads the hfs.ini files and gets settings from the file (like IP address, Dynamic Host, Port) and puts it in the database.
I am planning on making a cron script to compare the ini settings with the settings stored in the database, so the frontend won't crash/mailfunction when the HFS settings is changed.

I've added a scheme off the database, showing the external relations.
These are used mainly for the file table, which looks up the filename, mediatype, container (file extension), language.

I don't have any ideas, so if you have any ideas, suggestions. Please post them :)

I will release the source whenever the codes are (1.) cleaned, (2.) stable and (3.) has more functions.

Cons:
- You do need an external webserver (not compatible with HFS)
- You need a MySQL Server
- Currently no multi-language support
- Currently no template system

I'm off to bed now, shouldn't have pulled an all-nighter :P

Regards,
mrprozac
Previous account: mprprozac (deleted due to typo)

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
welcome prozac!
good luck with your project.
about the "news", i guess you want display some (easily editable) text on first (or every) page.
you can achieve this goal easily with HFS 2.3

you can store your news in a text file, by using a your preferred format, and show it by using few commands, like
{.load|the_file.txt.} in the right place of your template.

all commands are documented at http://www.rejetto.com/wiki/index.php/HFS:_Template_macros
would you have any doubt on how to achieve other effects, try asking.

Offline mrprozac

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
    • CCSEindhoven
you can store your news in a text file, by using a your preferred format, and show it by using few commands, like
{.load|the_file.txt.} in the right place of your template.

Thanks, i didn't know HFS had this feature. I used to have a small php script with an older version of HFS i used. But since my server died i lost everything (no backups)
If i use the {.load|file.txt.} method, do i have to enter plain-text in the file or HTML?

I also want to make a small archive for older posts.
Previous account: mprprozac (deleted due to typo)

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
you should store the news as html, unless you want to convert them on the fly.

if you want to have "old posts", you may think of a way to tell where every post begins, so you can count them and decide to show only newer ones, leaving others to another page.