rejetto forum

How can I increase download speed?

rtkpX · 12 · 3806

Offline rtkpX

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
I've been trying for several hours to boot up the thing so I my friends can connect to my IP from their home so they can download files, all works fine after I finally discovered DMZ on my router lol. The problem now is that if I connect with 192.168.0.2 (my local IP) from the same device or some other device on the network, download speeds will average around 60MB/s, but whenever someone connects using my external IP, it will start at like 15-30MB/s for 2 seconds then drop to 9MB/s or less, is there any way to work around this so they can download at full speed?

In case you maybe think It's because I have a slow internet:

Offline vladimirov70

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
    • Honest news about a special military operation in Ukraine.
1.Menu/Limits - remove ALL restrictions (uncheck all boxes).

2.Menu/Debug/select "Experimental high speed handling"

3. If that didn't help - The situation is similar to the speed limit of YOUR PROVIDER. And then this issue can be resolved only with the provider.
Ukraine has been killing thousands civilians in Donbass for eight years. Ukraine killed 152 children and wounded 146. Russia does not start wars - it ends them.http://www.picshare.ru/uploads/220501/9d838wOcqM.jpg

Offline De-M-oN

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
I have the same problem. Downloadspeed is locked to 8 mbyte/s

And NO its not a speed limit of my server. It has a 1Gbit Connection (dedicated root server at www.hetzner.de
And outside of HFS it works just fine. So its definitely HFS being the issue

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
HFS is not a focused on performance, but on easy of use.
My advice is to try HFS 3 and see if it's any better, as it is a totally different technology https://github.com/rejetto/hfs
I'm no expert, but I suspect you don't reach the full bandwidth you have with a single connection. Maybe speed-tests use multiple connections.
What i'm saying is that possibly multiple downloads from your server will make a higher total.

and for those who need it: never confuse Mbps, that is megabits, with megabytes
« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 05:33:20 PM by rejetto »

Offline De-M-oN

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
HFS is not a focused on performance, but on easy of use.
I dont see exactly how one closes out the other? Cant we combine both?

I'm no expert, but I suspect you don't reach the full bandwidth you have with a single connection. Maybe speed-tests use multiple connections.
Single ftp download from same server is about 30 Mbyte/s with Total Commander.
HFS download is the said 8 mbyte/s even with a segmented download.
I can try HFS3 then

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
I dont see exactly how one closes out the other? Cant we combine both?

technically yes, but when the staff is very limited, like 1 man, you hardly get everything you want :)
LMK about hfs3

Offline De-M-oN

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
HFS 3 works

https://abload.de/img/screenshot2023-02-272esdvn.png

Also a bless to see that I dont have to use buggy wine anymore and have a native linux version which hopefully doesnt switch the server off and says port isnt open after some days so that I have to restart the program.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 10:47:19 PM by De-M-oN »

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile

Offline De-M-oN

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
With the new locally usable Interface it is really awesome that I can add folders of the server computer on my local computer now.

But you know what would be even cooler now?
If I could also select a folder from my local computer and it would be then uploaded into the current folder!

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
you can't do that on the admin-panel, yes, but you can share the destination folder and give (to you) upload permission.
Folders upload is supported this way

Offline teslaman

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
I noticed this problem too, but HFS used to max out my bandwidth, so I figured that something changed or broke. I use JDownloader for most downloads, but for some reason it wouldn't make multiple connections on HFS. For those of us who are sticking with the 2.x version, uGet works to max it out again. ;)

Offline tauji556

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
What is the speed of your internet plan? If it is 16mbps then 2MB/s is exactly as fast as it will ever go. If it's higher, try a hardwired connection, otherwise, you are capped by the write speed of your hard drive.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2023, 11:08:18 AM by Mars »