rejetto forum

SWF Audio Player 48000Hz Issue

Offline thexfile

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
I noticed when playing back a MP3 that was made using 48000Hz the audio quality is really bad. :o
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 09:25:47 AM by thexfile »

Offline TSG

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
    • RAWR-Designs
It might be a limitation of Flash, I just use the Flash mp3 playback library for playback. Why was the audio made in 48000Hz? CD audio is only 16bit 44100hz...

Offline parade

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
Why was the audio made in 48000Hz? CD audio is only 16bit 44100hz...
48.000Hz is the most common standard for digital audio recording. 44100 Hz is only common on CDs.

Offline TSG

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
    • RAWR-Designs
Yes I know, but my question was basically, why would you make an 'mp3' at 48000mhz... but anyway. I have heard of this problem before with other players when researching to make the RAWR-Player, from memory it is just a limitation of Flash. Nothing I can do about it from what I can tell, there may be a fix in ActionScript 3, but I cannot be bothered re-writing the player yet. ActionScript 3 may see the inclusion of a visualisation in the RAWR-Player, but I have only used it for a couple of small projects, it is really specific compared to AS2. My worry with re-writing the RAWR-Player is that... well it was quite a complicated thing to make in the first place, and I am not comfortable enough with AS3 yet to even attempt the things I made in RAWR-Player.

Offline thexfile

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Yes I know, but my question was basically, why would you make an 'mp3' at 48000mhz...
A lot of groups are releasing online music in 48000Hz. Like Nine Inch Nails and more... There calling it HD

Most common mp3 players play 48000Hz with no issues as well.

Offline TSG

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
    • RAWR-Designs
I researched this more today. Is this the issue you are having?

I thought I would qoute it, I did find others, but this seemed more on track:

Bit Rates

I’m getting ahead of myself a bit here, but this seems the appropriate place since the previous note discussed creating the MP3 files themselves. Alert reader Danny Gardner of Bold Soul wrote to me asking why his MP3 files played slower in my Flash MP3 player than they did in other players. I was stumped but he answered his own question, and the solution has to do with sample rates of the MP3 files themselves. To quote Danny, “It may interest you to know that I was using MP3s that were encoded in iTunes at a 48kHz sample rate. Flash MX resamples all audio down to bit rates in increments of 11 (11, 22, 44, etc.). That resampling caused the percieved slow-down in pitch.”

So now you know. Thank you Danny for adding another useful drop to the knowledge pool.

http://www.thegoldenmean.com/technique/mp3player01.html

EDIT:
I found some 48khz stuff in my collection, and it is definitely an issue with the pitch. I cannot find any solution on the internet, you will just have to let people download these files.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 04:09:43 AM by That_Stevens_Guy »