rejetto forum

A way to display *.mp3 tags

Guest · 42 · 88631

xitsa

For those who want to see more than track01.mp3, ..., track11.mp3
in folder listing I can present a small utility mp3ToIon.
It is command line app and when run in a folder containg *.mp3, *.ogg and may be *.wma (haven't any to test) with tag info present, It extracts tag info in file descript.ion in that folder.
HFS from build 106 handle it very nice.

P.S. In attachment: utility and sources to it
P.P.S. I wrote it ages ago and lost newer sources, but look in archives to try to find it if anyone is interested.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 09:11:38 AM by That_Stevens_Guy »

Offline fabnos

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
    • Fabnos ~ Http File Server
Tnx a lot is a very nice tool  :D
E allora Dio creĆ² l'uomo, gli diede un cervello ed un pene ma non sangue sufficiente a farli funzionare  contemporaneamente.
_______
So, God created the man.
It gave him a brain and a penis.
Unfortunately not enough blood to contemporarily bedew them

Offline maverick

• Tireless poster
  • Computer Solutions
    • View Profile
Excellent utility!  Thanks.  I does work with wma files also.
maverick

Offline TSG

• Operator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
    • RAWR-Designs
Would a utility like this be able to display the video resolution of an avi/divx file?

Want a method of putting the video info on a page.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 07:35:17 PM by That_Stevens_Guy »

xitsa

Found latest sources

xitsa

Would a utility like this be able to display the video resolution of an avi/divx file?

Cause if this is possible i can make the preview box for my template auto-size for the video you want to see. atm its just stuck in a widescreen resolution.

Do you know about GSpot?
Set in Options/Export/ Enable Exporting=true, One file per avi (auto name and location) and make custom format.
Then just drag files to, or open some files.

Offline maverick

• Tireless poster
  • Computer Solutions
    • View Profile
Yes, GSpot is good.  I have been using it for a long time.  I like using the older version 2.21 for getting avi info.  It's quick.  It's also found at the GSpot site.  I was having problems with their newest versions.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 06:29:22 PM by maverick »
maverick

Offline KalleB

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Suggestion for rejetto:

If "mp3ToIon.exe" is present in the same directory as HFS.exe, use it to automatically generate descript.ion files for folders that contain mp3 or other supported files.

Offline TSG

• Operator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
    • RAWR-Designs
Yes, GSpot is good.  I have been using it for a long time.  I like using the older version 2.21 for getting avi specs.  It's quick.  It's also found at the GSpot site.  I was having problems with their newest versions.

Does it do the same thing as the mp3 one here, and show the specs as decript.ion? I'm looking for a method of easily giving a page the resolution and stuff for avi files.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 07:34:51 PM by That_Stevens_Guy »

Offline maverick

• Tireless poster
  • Computer Solutions
    • View Profile
Does it do the same thing as the mp3 one here, and show the specs as decript.ion?

No.  The format it uses is filename.txt. 
« Last Edit: July 07, 2007, 11:12:00 AM by maverick »
maverick

Offline TSG

• Operator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
    • RAWR-Designs
Cool, will try now.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 07:34:27 PM by That_Stevens_Guy »

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
If "mp3ToIon.exe" is present in the same directory as HFS.exe, use it to automatically generate descript.ion files for folders that contain mp3 or other supported files.

nice idea... i'd say it should be called only on the folder that is required by the client, if descript.ion doesn't exist.
opinions?

xitsa

IMHO, not the best solution: there will be a need to syncronize content of descript.ion and corresponding folder.
For example, let you have a folder with 20 *.mp3 files, after when descript.ion has been created, user add 10 files more.
mp3toin should be called to update descript.ion -- and how to determine when?
My opinion: HFS does great job already it can use descript.ion, and, in my experience, descript.ion for mp3 files doesn't change very often. So let spend 30 minutes to update all folders, and then update only when it needed.
But it my imho :)

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
what's the gain in doing all in advance?
i see a con: long waiting at setup time.

Offline maverick

• Tireless poster
  • Computer Solutions
    • View Profile
I usually create music folders by artist and album.  Sometimes a folder containing individual music from misc artists.  Once the descript.ion file is created for the folder, it is my experience that there is rarely a need to update or change it.

I don't have that many music files on my drive right now - maybe about 1500.  When xista introduced mp3toin to this forum, I updated all my music folders in about 15 minutes.  Now it is done.  That utility works fast.

If HFS automatically handles this and searches through real music folders/subfolders looking for a descript.ion file then executes the mp3toin utiltiy if that file isn't found I'm concerned that there might be a delay in the users browser page opening up because of this.  And, as xista mentioned what if new music files were added to a folder that already has a descript.ion file.  What will HFS do still call the mp3toin utility to overwrite the existing descript.ion file or bypass the update all together because descript.ion already exists?

Right now I think updating the music folders using stand alone mp3tion only when needed.  The admin knows when new music has been added or removed.
maverick