rejetto forum

converting sources to .NET ...?

zippo · 9 · 5961

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline zippo

  • Occasional poster
  • *
    • Posts: 38
    • View Profile
:idea:
what about porting the source to .NET ?
it's faster, smaller and very flexible...  :)


Offline alkimiya

  • Moderator
  • Tireless poster
  • *****
    • Posts: 315
    • View Profile
Quote from: "zippo"
:idea:
what about porting the source to .NET ?
it's faster, smaller and very flexible...  :)

I'm for this :) but.. faster? not really :)


Offline rejetto

  • Administrator
  • Tireless poster
  • *****
    • Posts: 13309
    • View Profile

Offline alkimiya

  • Moderator
  • Tireless poster
  • *****
    • Posts: 315
    • View Profile
I will do this when sources are available... I need the exercise :)


Offline alkimiya

  • Moderator
  • Tireless poster
  • *****
    • Posts: 315
    • View Profile
I found this little tool, no guarantee for it's quality though:

http://w1.311.telia.com/~u31115556/desc/programs.htm

Translated quote from swedish:
"BabbelFisken

A program that tries to translate source code to C#. "Some" manual afterwork required...

The following source is translated:

* Delphi
* Turbo Pascal 5
* VB.NET
* Classical VB (i.e. VB6)

.. and soon FORTRAN."


Offline rejetto

  • Administrator
  • Tireless poster
  • *****
    • Posts: 13309
    • View Profile
as you may know, the output quality of such a tool is usually lower than production quality

the main problem, i think, is to translate the call to standard libraries.
delphi, as other languages, has a VERY large library.
often those convertion tools has little support about them, and this prevents the use on projects like &RQ.

FYI, i have very little practice with C#, and none with its widget library


Offline alkimiya

  • Moderator
  • Tireless poster
  • *****
    • Posts: 315
    • View Profile
Quote from: "rejetto"
as you may know, the output quality of such a tool is usually lower than production quality

the main problem, i think, is to translate the call to standard libraries.
delphi, as other languages, has a VERY large library.
often those convertion tools has little support about them, and this prevents the use on projects like &RQ.

FYI, i have very little practice with C#, and none with its widget library

Yes, you're probably right.. it will presumabely convert all algorithms and so on, but keep calls to libs intact so they have to be replaced with .net-libs or other... Still.. I think I will try this once your sources are open, it could be an interesting starting point for a side project.


Spider

  • Guest
Good day

I was tryed to import history from ICQ 2002 and it was ok
But when I try t importing from 2003 &RQ give an error message "Access violation ....".
Can somebody help me with this situation ???


Offline BruteHost

  • Moderator
  • Tireless poster
  • *****
    • Posts: 346
    • View Profile
Quote from: "Spider"
...
But when I try t importing from 2003 &RQ give an error message "Access violation ....".
Can somebody help me with this situation ???

You know, I did the same with ICQ 2003 Build 3777 and hadn't any errors.

But why have you told this in here?
I think this topic is not about "importing..." :P
I prefer Linux OS for develpment and server tasks.
How about you? :)