rejetto forum

How secure am I?

martin · 4 · 2763

Offline martin

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
I've been using HFS for a number of years simply to send files to friends and relations in Australia. I'm a very basic user and don't use any templates.
Last week a friend was downloading a file when I noticed another IP was connected. I checked the IP and it was from China. What would the person have been able to see or do, if anything? I was using port 80, so would I be better using a more obscure port?

Martin.

snaker

Yeah, Port 80 is a defaultport for http, a port i would check first if i want to get access on a remote ip. Ok, with a portscanner anyone could check every port on your public IP, so no port is really "safe". But I recommend you a port above 1024 or better one in the range above 10000.
But there's one point i don't understand: is your HFS-Homescreen accessible for anonymous? If it is: change it as far as you can! Anonymous-access should be disabled for the startpage and for subfolders too, if you're using the HFS to share files with friends: create an account for everyone of them.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
1. the person could be not a person but an unattended software searching for useful things.
2. what did he see? just access your HFS' home/root, and that's it.
3. using port 80 is ok, but in this case expect to be scanned/found. If you use an high number for the port as snaker advice, i think you are 99.9% safe from scanners, just because it would take forever for such a complete scanning.
4. using password is good. Anyway if you use HFS as i do, to pass a file to a friend and the close it, you may stay safe by using the same password for all of your usage. An account for every person is more for an always-running server or for highly sensitive files.

Offline martin

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Thanks for your replies. Apologies for not getting back to this earlier but I'm suffering from the after effects of spinal surgery, mostly being out of my head on pain killers. :)

Snaker, I open HFS, send a file, and then close it. I've never done any setting up, so I know nothing about homescreen, startpage, etc. Just this minute is the first time I have seen it in a browser. I guess there is much more to it than what I use it for, but for how I use it, there's nothing to replace it.

Rejetto, I suppose I should look into how to set a password. I've never bothered as HFS is seldom running for more than a few minutes and is then closed.

Thanks again.