rejetto forum

Log Files

Foggy · 10 · 3028

Offline Foggy

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
after reading a couple posts about log files it got me thinking of somehow getting per user logs. so instead of have just the normal log file with everything. you could also have a log file for each different user that logs in. that would make it alot easier to see which users have done what since theyd have their own log file.
eg. i connect to the server and log in, all my actions are recorded to the normal log but also a log called foggy is created with just details of what i have done.

im just throwing around some ideas so please post any comments

Offline TSG

• Operator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
    • RAWR-Designs
sounds cool, i don't save the log though... so maybe this could be an option, u can save entire log, and also log per user account. rejetto might actually like this.

Offline Giant Eagle

• Tireless poster
  • >=3 RAWR!
    • View Profile
    • RAWR-Designs.com
Yes, i like this alot.

With the current method, its almost impossible to track someone's on HFS if multiple users are online.

The suggested method would solve this, especially if it would also be possible to save the log for each IP or even combine them.

Giant Eagle@192.168.2.101.log
Anonymous@192.168.1.124.log

I'd be happy if the log had delimiters in it so I could link to a database like M$ Access. This would allow
me to analyze the traffic in many more ways than the Apache log analyzers I've seen so far.
The apache log function will work with delimiter | , but hfs doesn't appear to support all apache log
functions ?

4/23/07 | 9:30:09 | AM | Bob@ | 192.168.1.20:1077 | Requested GET /Log-In-Area/Software/flash_mp3_player.zip

I suppose everyone knows that hfs log will output as other file types than .txt, like .xls or .csv ?

Offline Foggy

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
Im glad yous like my idea, it brongs a warm happy feeling inside or im hungry. so lets wait and see what rejetto thinks of it.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
eg. i connect to the server and log in, all my actions are recorded to the normal log but also a log called foggy is created with just details of what i have done

i would just add a %user% symbol to be used in the file name.
so your actions goes only to the specific log, and not also the general log.
is it enough?

The apache log function will work with delimiter | , but hfs doesn't appear to support all apache log functions ?

yes, you should use the apache log format to get such thing. but what functions are you missing?

Offline Foggy

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
Thanks Rejetto, I think that will work fine. This should make it a lot easier to see who has done what. If I have any problems with it ill let you know.  :D

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
it is already available in last beta (#097)

Offline Foggy

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
Thanks ill download it as soon as i get home from school in a few hours. I should probably be getting back to my work but its hard and boring  ;D

Offline Foggy

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
I was just testing it out and everything works fine, but a i had a thought that when an anonymous user connects instead of creating a log file called () there ip is inserted eg (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) That should make it perfect for tracking what happens. Also while im thinking of it, when i input the name that the log should be saved as if i insert a / will that create/save in a new directory.
for example, i input "%d% %m% %y%/%user%"
would that create a new directory each day and when ever a user connectss create an individual log for them in the directory. that would make it real easy to archive log files and to find only the recent logs