rejetto forum

parade · 6 · 3700

Offline parade

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
As I have some friends not so common with English I did some localisation to German, editing you template and change all   menue items and balloon tips.
I shall have to to this again, when you offer a new release.

Therefore I think it a good idea for the next release to change all menue items and balloon tips to symbols and put the items in an ini-file. So everyone who wants can easily edit the ini-file. It would be perfect if the client even could switch between languages.

I don't know enough about bulding templates that I can say if this is possible and how much work it would be to do this.
Just a suggestion.

Grettings
parade

Offline TSG

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
    • RAWR-Designs
Not possible with .ini and i'm not going to complicate my templates just for other languages. English FTW

I have fabnos converting ToG and Terayon to Italian for us. Any other translations are welcome, and when i say translation i mean simply translate the text items, leave the template itself alone so we can release it under the same build and name.

@ Foggy, more sections the slower the template is at generating, i am not going to complicate the template just for other languages. People can just post translations.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2007, 12:46:46 PM by That_Stevens_Guy »

Offline Foggy

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
What you ask is possible with javascript but not very practical.

It might be possible in the the actual template if we could create variables and have them in an external file we can call by {{load|file.ini}}(I dont remember the load macro syntax), that way they are easily editable and to just have variables in the template would be very useful.

We could use [sections] and %sections% as variables but is that very practical with a lot of them being used?

But in the end it is up to TSG about implementing such a thing in the TOG. I however am going to try creating a template and am going to try my hardest to make it very customizable for the user, so you've given me a great idea.

TSG beat me replying but I'm still posting everything I wrote.

Offline bacter

• Operator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
As templates use very few text, y use variable arrays in javascript, indexed by a language variable that can be set by the user to select between different languages. Template grows a little compared to pure html,as i have to invoke document.write everywhere, but it's not slow. Template generation time is always short compared to the downloadtime , especially if the template includes images that are not already cached, or if there is some recursive or filter enabled.
your computer has no brain - use your own !

Offline TSG

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
    • RAWR-Designs
Because not all users use javascript. And javascript is the last thing a browser does on page load so no. It is slower than template generation.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: December 08, 2007, 03:04:18 PM by rejetto »