rejetto forum

Portforwarding, it just doesnt work

Guest · 8 · 5355

Hughie

Hello, I'm trying to get HFS to work on my computer so i can access files from wherever I am. HFS works fine locally, I can use my internal IP address and it works. I've forwarded port 80 to my computer but it does not work from outside. It might be because I'm using a router to share the internet between 2 computers (ive forwarded the ports with this, tried lots but it has no effect) and i have another router before it which is actually my broadband modem. I managed to forward port 80 on that to my computer too, but still no effect. Ive tried other ports, nothing works. Ive tried forwarding port 80 on my broadband modem to port 80 on my router, and then that to my computer but still nothing. Anyone got a clue?

If it helps, portforward.com gives this on my broadband router: http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/BT/Voyager220V/Http_File_Server-HFS.htm
and this on my router http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/SMC/SMCBR14UP/Http_File_Server-HFS.htm

Offline bacter

• Operator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
Try to locate the problem. Connect your computer directly to the modem, without router and see if that works.
Use the selftest form hfs to check that.
Verify before that you have checked the hfs-option 'accept connections on' -> Any address.

If it don't work, verify port-forwarding on modem-router, else, reconect router and verify your port and address settings.

By all that - I suppose you have verified also your firewall settings!
your computer has no brain - use your own !

Offline Giant Eagle

• Tireless poster
  • >=3 RAWR!
    • View Profile
    • RAWR-Designs.com
By all that - I suppose you have verified also your firewall settings!

My thoughts :P

Try to disable everything that 'secures' your computer for just a few moments (Your router will protect you against most attacks). E.g. Windows Firewall, other firewall software, your antivirus software or anything else.

If it does work after that, re-enable the security softwares one at the time and see which one is actually the problem

Hughie

didnt work, didnt work, didnt work. They just say 'Server not found' or 'server taking too long to respond'.

Firewall is disabled, router security is completely disabled, broadband thingy security is all disabled, ports are forwarded (i think its correct, portforward.com doesnt go into much detail) but still it doesnt work. I'm gonna carry on messing with port forwarding, see if i can get anything.

Offline Giant Eagle

• Tireless poster
  • >=3 RAWR!
    • View Profile
    • RAWR-Designs.com
You said you had (or are able to) forward ports in your modem aswell? And connecting your pc directly to the modem doesnt work either?

What is the model and type of this modem? Maybe that thing is the 'curse' :P

Hughie

Knowing BT, it probably is. I shall give them a call on monday, see if they know anything about it.

Its a BT Voyager 220v. My router is an SMC7004VBR (not on portforward.com, but another SMC router uses the same config software).

Offline Giant Eagle

• Tireless poster
  • >=3 RAWR!
    • View Profile
    • RAWR-Designs.com
oh, so you basically have 2 routers, that changes things.

Is it like this?

[internets] -> [bt voyager] -> [smc] -> [pc] ?

If it is, i have your solution:

When you configure the settings inside the bt voyager, make sure you forward the port to the ip address of the SMC router and not your pc. Then forward the same port of the SMC router to your computer (Which you probably already did).

Offline TSG

• Operator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
    • RAWR-Designs
My Solution :)

I dont know of either of these devices so i cant be very specific, but i have forwarded ports through multiple routers before, setting HFS up on other networks for friends and family.

Ensure you have a Static Network IP for the host computer. Its in the TCP/IP settings of your network connection properties. This is fairly straight forward I think?

Choose a router to handle the firewall and port forwarding. I suggest you find out which device is the best for both tasks. Now. Open the other device to DMZ (Demilitarised Internet Zone) if you can. This will allow all connections through no matter what IP or Port. It is unsafe to an extent, but through 2 devices you are pretty safe with 1 doing the work, although i do strongly recommend setting up a good security suite on your host pc, even with both devices in the safer modes.

Then simply make a path, forward the port you want through the other device to your PC's static network IP. Then run the Self Test... It should work...

Personally i would DMZ the device behind the BT Voyager.