rejetto forum

Rephrasing update option

Yves · 11 · 3293

Offline Yves

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Since a while i use this setting

Now with build 126 and this setting i'm invited to use unstable versions whereas i do not want to test them. Going back to build 124.  >:(
on http://messenger.yahoo.com as Yves67St and YvesSt67, reachable particularly during european afternoon and evening hours, GMT+1. My servers are online 16/24h and 7/7d.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
you see the option you didn't enable is "from stable to unstable".
but your #126 is unstable, so that option doesn't apply.

Offline Yves

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Right, I didn't enable "Offer me to update from stable versions to unstable testing versions" (look the picture above). But your #128 is unstable, so then HFS should not offer me the unstable testing version #128.
on http://messenger.yahoo.com as Yves67St and YvesSt67, reachable particularly during european afternoon and evening hours, GMT+1. My servers are online 16/24h and 7/7d.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
You didn't read my reply carefully.
It offered you to update from a BETA to another BETA.
it is the expected behaviour.
that option offers you from STABLE to BETA. it is another thing.

Offline Yves

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
OK, rejetto, i got you now.  :) THEN i think the line 4 of 4 should be called "Offer me to update from stable versions to unstable testing versions when stable version installed".
Anyway, it's clear now.

Offline MarkV

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
In my eyes, it is very clear: Offer me to update from stable versions to unstable testing versions. If your version is already unstable, the term 'from stable versions' does not apply.

@rejetto

I'd simply reverse the option. Rename it to Released versions only with default [√]enabled. If you disable it , you'll get unstable versions, too. If you already have an unstable version running and enable this option, HFS will (after a warning dialog) automatically downgrade to the latest stable. So you can finish your beta-test everytime you want.

To save bandwith, you could even keep always a backup of the latest stable version in the HFS folder, even when testing betas. That means, 'Keep old version (when) updating' will be extended to keep (additionally to HFS.old.exe) an HFS.old-stable.exe .

Whew, long post.
http://worldipv6launch.org - The world is different now.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
I'd simply reverse the option. Rename it to Released versions only with default [√]enabled.

it's always good to find a better way to say the same thing, but i don't think the version you proposed is much better than the current one.

Offline Giant Eagle

• Tireless poster
  • >=3 RAWR!
    • View Profile
    • RAWR-Designs.com

Offline MarkV

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
I'd simply reverse the option. Rename it to Released versions only with default [√]enabled.

it's always good to find a better way to say the same thing, but i don't think the version you proposed is much better than the current one.

Not much better, but much better understandable. The current version is a bit long and confusing. Even I had to read it twice.

Oh btw, the term 'unstable' does not apply to HFS, because I found not even one real unstable version yet...

I still believe the automatic downgrading is a good idea though.
http://worldipv6launch.org - The world is different now.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
Not much better, but much better understandable. The current version is a bit long and confusing. Even I had to read it twice.

what Yves was asking is included in the current version, but it is not very easy to read, so he asked anyway.
with the version you just proposed, Yves would have been right asking, because the information is not included.
it is easier to understand, because there is less informative.

Oh btw, the term 'unstable' does not apply to HFS, because I found not even one real unstable version yet...

kind words :)
i rephrased it
Offer me to update to beta versions even if i'm using official version

I still believe the automatic downgrading is a good idea though.

i understand this may be useful sometimes, but not that often, and
if you downgrade, you are probably even angry :D
i think most people wouldn't guess that they can get it automatically in that time.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 12:02:13 AM by rejetto »

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
i rephrased it again

Updates from official to beta versions

much easier
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 04:42:03 PM by rejetto »