rejetto forum

HFS needs restart

Guest · 16 · 7692

gogolaz

Hi,
I've been using HFS for a couple of weeks and I found that when I leave it idle for several hours it stops working when addressed from outside. If I try to address it from the local computer it seems to be ok. After restarting the program it can be seen from other users. Just to mention that I am using the "no-ip.com" service and the agent seems to update the IP properly when I compare it with the actual IP present on the machine. Initially I was thinking that this might have caused the problem but later I figured out that restarting the HFS will fix it. Please give me an advice how to set it up to avoide this issue.
Thanks!

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
what version?
did you try to just ON/OFF instead of full restart?
what if you address it from the outside specifying the numeric address instead of using no-ip ?

does someone else have this problem? if yes, please report version and if you are using no-ip.com

gogolaz

The version is 2.0 alpha 6. Yes I tried with numbers instead of the no-ip domain - the same result. Next time when it happens I'll try off-on and will report the outcome.

Offline Mr. Anon

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
gogolaz, are you under a router which uses port forwarding?
If so, maybe your router closed the port since no activity is received?
As rejetto suggested, did you tried the ON/OFF button? This should close and open the port and restart the server.

gogolaz

No, I connect directly through DSL modem. Next time I'll try on/off. I am using port 80, is it possible this to be the problem? However, I will try it with another port.

Offline Mr. Anon

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
Do you have any software firewalls installed on your computer?

gogolaz

Offline Iron Spring

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Some ISP's drop port 80 after non use to keep hackers out of your
ip address.. Try changing your port to 1750 or something higher..
Be sure to direct HFS to the exact port address.. Example:

http://67.203.225.134:1750/

Hope this helps.. Just guessing..

IrOn SpRiNg :twisted:
>WAA<
IrOn SpRiNg

Offline Mr. Anon

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
Instead, some ISP state in their policies that no servers are allowed on their connection.
They might have noticed activity on the standard port 80 and blocks any further connection to it.
As Iron Spring suggested, use non-standard ports in a higher range. Standard ports are more likely to be probed by hackers than non-standard ports.

gogolaz

Thanks guys! I've found out what the problem was. I've put HFS to the startup folder and it loads before the DSL connection is done. When I restart it after the connection is established it works fine. You are right about the ports - I've already changed it to higher nonstandard number.
Any suggestions how to fix this problem?

Offline Mr. Anon

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
Try using Startup Delay.
Do you have a software firewall installed? It should be no problem starting the program early unless you have a firewall.  :?

gogolaz

Yes, I have a firewall installed but it seems to work fine with HFS as long as I restart it.

Offline Mr. Anon

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
What firewall is it?
Programs requiring Internet Access should be started after the firewall loads since some firewall lockdowns Internet Access until it is fully started to avoid problems with trojans.

gogolaz

It is zone alarm. You are right it does block the trafic before it starts but I can't see haw this hamper the work of HFS. They start at the same time and even if Zone Alarm follows after it starts there shouldn't be any problem.