rejetto forum

Only allowing anon access (do not want!)

Offline etherknight

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
I am not sure what I did....don't remember making any changes. But...

Today, when I logged on to my HFS server from work I could not get in. I wasn't even prompted to log in; just a white screen. So I remoted into the physical server and took a look. Server resources looked good and was ON and appeared to be fine.

I checked my account and had read/write/delete on the root / of the VFS. I tried using the 'open in browser' directly from the server, and even it didn't ask for a login...just a white screen with the eternal progress bar in the browser. I set the root of the VFS to 'anonymous'...nothing.

However, when I re-permissioned / with 'anyone' it came up fine; both locally and across the web. So I know my domain, network, and firewall are all functioning. I am kind of stumped here...

Using 2.3 beta Build#267
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 09:47:26 PM by etherknight »

Offline TSG

• Operator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
    • RAWR-Designs
This happens to me when I am building templates locally. HFS freaks out and wont show me the page until I restart HFS. I have told rejetto about it and he wanted more information about the issue. All I could say was that HFS 'locks up' on the template side - from what I could tell it wasn't crashing in task manager.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
@tsg
he didn't restart to make it work again.
@ek
what did the bottom panel (connections) show in such case?

Offline etherknight

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Oh I restarted. I restarted the crap out of HFS. I even dumped and reloaded the saved file system and settings. I disabled all custom settings. I deleted and re-added virtual folders and all files. Nothing. The only way it would answer to requests was to allow 'anyone' to access. Even 'anonymous' would not work (how are those different anyway?). Of course, with permissions set to anyone, I could access the site. But when I would try to get to any files, it would say it was restricted (which I expected). The only way to actually use the site and get files was to make it all open to 'anyone'.

Another thing I noticed: whenever someone was connected (even if it was just a white screen), it would show them as such. All connections would be listed as 'thinking' in the status. None of them would ever be shown in the log as ever getting the GET event (which I think is the very first step).

The only unusual thing about my setup was it was running on Linux/WINE> So, as of now, I am building a VM with Windows installed. We will see if that does any better. I hope so, because HFS was amazing - right up until it mysteriously stopped working.

Offline TSG

• Operator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
    • RAWR-Designs
Sounds identical to my problem.

It says 'thinking' aswell. I can't replicate it reliably... it mainly used to happen under heavy load (after lots of template refreshes).

Offline etherknight

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Lot's of template refreshes, eh? That was actually what I was doing. I had been going through every template I could find and trying it out. I had decided on a couple of RAWR templates (who wouldn't?) and was using a lot of 'guess and check' while attempting to edit them; Several hours of the 'edit > save > load' cycle. That's when it all went TU on me... I am just glad to know I wasn't imagining it. Hey, I wonder if that little purple man who tells me to burn things is real after all... ;D

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
how are those different anyway?

anonymous = no username (identity unknown)
anyone = with username or not

i guess it's just as you these terms in real life.

Offline etherknight

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Got it (I think)

When I set it to 'anonymous', it will actually prevent logged-in users from accessing resource?

And when set to 'anyone', it doesn't really care one way or the other, right?

So, in the real-world, it would like letting 'anyone' into your house vs letting anyone into house, as long as stay anonymous (i.e.they don't tell you their name). Not sure why anyone would want to do this, but at least I understand the terminology.  :)

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
yes, that's to my memory.
those are tools that were created because needed for some purpose, they are not meant to make sense in any configuration.
like trying to use a knife to flip a book's pages. :D