rejetto forum

2 Downloads/Connections per user.

NeHoX · 13 · 6159

Offline NeHoX

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Like the subject says.

When a friend of mine is downloading music from my HFS. He can only download 2 songs at a time. When he clicks on the third one, this one begins right after one of the first 2 is finished.

In the limits drop down menu everything is disabled. He should be able to download more than 2 songs at a time.

Thnx in advance

Look @ Attachment

Offline TSG

• Operator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
    • RAWR-Designs
I can confirm this, no more than 2 files can be downloaded simultaneously.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
Try using a different browser and see if the result vary.
HFS cannot force the browser to use more connections.

Offline Alons0

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
    • Alons0's site
May be the browser is cause this problem. :D
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 07:22:06 PM by Alons0 »

Offline NeHoX

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Try using a different browser and see if the result vary.
HFS cannot force the browser to use more connections.

Why don't i have the same problem when i use a normal webhostinging software like WAMP. At the left bottom of the program screen it also says something with 2 connections all the time.... Why does my friend need to use something different then IE7? IE7 is mostly used.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile

Offline bacter

• Operator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
IE 7 and firefox limit the trafic to 2 simultaneous connections to one server-ip or proxy.

It seems to be a http1.1 recomendation. There are some patches that can change this values in the net.

But in case of a home-server (even with a good DSL) the total troughput will not increase significantly with more connections, it may even decrease as each connection needs resources.
your computer has no brain - use your own !

Offline NeHoX

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
IE 7 and firefox limit the trafic to 2 simultaneous connections to one server-ip or proxy.

Can you point me in the right direction to "upgrade" this to more simultaneous connections? TIA!

Offline bacter

• Operator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
I regret, I can't, because I never recomend a program or patch that was not tested by me or a reliable friend of mine.

Try to google for example with "explorer conection limit" ... good luck!

But don't forget that's not on serverside where the limit is - the limit is on client side. ¿do you want that your visitors patch or modify their explorers only to download more files simultaneously. If your upload-speed isn't  higher than some 100 kBps your visitors won't have any benefit from having more conections. When a users conection download-speed is higher than your upload bandwidth, more conections will only slow down data-flow.
your computer has no brain - use your own !

Offline Foggy

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
instead of downloading a patch that could possibly do damage to your computer, I suggest that your friend and everyone else just use a download manager that is designed for multiple downloads/connection.

Offline TSG

• Operator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
    • RAWR-Designs
Agreed, using a download manager and removing 'prevent leeching' opens HFS up to better performance. A speed increase from 12KB\s to 140KB\s from Giant Eagles server :)

And anyway, downloading 2 files at the same time wont make them download any quicker lol, one after the other will have the same effect, hence with a download manager you can queue up files :)

Offline Giant Eagle

• Tireless poster
  • >=3 RAWR!
    • View Profile
    • RAWR-Designs.com
Ye, im with TSG here.

The best way to download multiple files, is to download them with a download manager (Queue) or the whole folder at once "~folder.tar"

Offline NeHoX

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
I found a possible way to remove the client side connection limit...

It's a simple registry patch, if people are interested in the code let me know.