rejetto forum

New requirement: email property for user

luca69 · 18 · 7223

Offline luca69

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
I think it would be nice to add within the user properties the e-mail address so that HFS send e-mails on events (e.g. there is a new file).
I know that the topic is complex, but we can start to discuss about it.

From my side:
- add email address to user properties
- add into HFS the possibility to send emails
- add the possibility for the user to subscribe to a "folder" in order to be notify if there are new data
- add the possibility for the user to get an email with his/her password (in case he/she forgets it).
- HFS shall send an email to a specific user (admin) in case of critical event (e.g. disk full)

Other ideas?
Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans

Offline Ranger

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
I actually like this idea. Not sure how hard it is to implement something like this though.

Offline bacter

• Operator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
there are so much combinations possible with all the points you show, like to subscribe to a folder for a user if content changes etc., that hfs would grow for features that possible few users will need.

You can already do most of what you want with macros and hfs.event , including send mail (search on the forum!)

One thing that might help to acomplish all with more ease would be one or two macros like this:

{.members|group.}  -> returns list of members that belong to this group. (like accounts, but only accounts belonging to group)

{.memberof|group.}  -> returns true if the current user belongs to 'group' (this one could be defined by user, not hfs)
your computer has no brain - use your own !

Offline luca69

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
I read the forum, but the proposed soultions have the email addresses hardcoded into the events file. It would be much simplier to have the email stored as a property of the user.
Of course this opens many options into hfs  ;D

But my idea was at least to start the discussion to see which features are more useful for the hfs user comunity and ask Rejetto to implement them (ar at leat to put them into the to-do-list)

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
mmm...
I just had an idea: instead of having an email field, a notes field.
If you want, put email in it, or anything.
But if you want to have MORE fields, you can.
Just use as syntax
field1=value1
field2=value2
email=my@address.com
hair-color=brown

So, in the template you can
{.set|notes|%user-notes%.}
{.from table|notes|email.}

About the sending of email, i prefer it to be demanded to an external utility through {.exec.}

Folder subscription is a problem: how to know when there's a new file in a real folder?

memberof macro is coming ;)

Offline bacter

• Operator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
memberof macro is coming  ;)

thanks rejetto  :)
your computer has no brain - use your own !

Offline luca69

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
mmm...
I just had an idea: instead of having an email field, a notes field.
If you want, put email in it, or anything.
But if you want to have MORE fields, you can.
Just use as syntax
field1=value1
field2=value2
email=my@address.com
hair-color=brown

So, in the template you can
{.set|notes|%user-notes%.}
{.from table|notes|email.}

Very GOOOD IDEA!!!
A "note" field would be very useful to store additional details about a user (e.g. department, phone number, etc.) and makes HFS very flexible!

About the sending of email, i prefer it to be demanded to an external utility through {.exec.}

Folder subscription is a problem: how to know when there's a new file in a real folder?
May idea was to sync it with the "Flag" event, but I of course it works only if someone uploads the files using HFS. New files added directly into the real folder would not be seen by HFS  :-\
What about having it in the "events script"?
Something like:
- associate a group to it
- each time a new file is uploaded, get the list of members of this group and send an email to them

To use an external utility to send emails it's ok ;-)

memberof macro is coming ;)

Many thanks !

Question: is there a way to know if the client (e.g. the browser) is running on Windows? Because in this case, can be a good idea to call outlook to send an email (please don't kill me: my users will like it).

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
May idea was to sync it with the "Flag" event,

there's no such event notion in HFS. The "new" flag thing is instead a rule. This rule, applied to a file, determines if the file is new. But this is not truly the point, because you don't need to know if a file is "new", you want to know when the file BECOMES new, that's different.

What about having it in the "events script"?
Something like:
- associate a group to it
- each time a new file is uploaded, get the list of members of this group and send an email to them

so, you would work on the "upload completed" event, that already exists.
What you lack is, maybe, a macro to get all members of a group?

Question: is there a way to know if the client (e.g. the browser) is running on Windows? Because in this case, can be a good idea to call outlook to send an email (please don't kill me: my users will like it).

you can know it by the {.header|User-agent.}, but remember macros work on the server, while outlook is on the client.

Offline r][m

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
 luca69
each time a new file is uploaded, get the list of members of this group and send an email to them
Wouldn't that require having an email address for each user and some method of applying it
from a list?
So then during high traffic upload times there are hundreds of emails being sent per hour ?
A user uploads 10 files and recieves 10 emails about the files he just uploaded ?
Not something I'd want for my server, and my users wouldn't want to recieve them either.

Alternate Idea:
How about a page/tpl that only shows all files on the server flagged as new. That way
each time a user visits they may see whats new with out the spam?
But that will require a way to show only new files the user has access to.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 03:38:22 PM by r][m »

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
But that will require a way to show only new files the user has access to.

it can already be done.

[file]
{.if|{.get|is new.}| show filename, filesize, etc .}

considering that you may want to do this only with a special url

[file]
{.if|
{.or| {.get|is new.} | {.not|{.?specialurl.}.} .}
| show filename, filesize, etc .}
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 01:52:03 PM by rejetto »

Offline r][m

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
it can already be done.

Sorry, I don't understand how to apply this.
All I get is a text listing (not link) of the one new file in the folder, not
all new files on the server?
Code: [Select]
| show filename, filesize, etc .}I used
Code: [Select]
[file]
{.if|{.get|is new.}|%folder% %item-url% .}
in a remote diff tpl ?
I find symbols work great, macros require a working example.
I suspect many of us are in the same fix here.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
to get a link you should put proper html code, as you can see in the default template.

to get all new files instead of just the one in the folder, you should add this to your url ?recursive

Offline r][m

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
to get a link you should put proper html code, as you can see in the default template.
to get all new files instead of just the one in the folder, you should add this to your url ?recursive
?recursive hasn't worked. Since I haven't seen any other template with a working
"new file" page implemented, I conclude it's presently not possible. Effort abandonded.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
(provided that you didn't disable recursion on HFS)
?recursive applied to the root will list all files.
this is known to be working.
if it doesn't for you, then you are making something wrong, or you found a new bug.
in the latter case a bug report would be welcome ;)

to make a link you should do something like <a href='%item-url%'>%item-name%</a>

Offline parade

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
I don't understand exactly, what you are discussing and if my most liked feature would be possible to impliment.

This rejetto-forum software has a menu item:
"Show unread posts since last visit."

Is there any chance to make something like that in HFS? A user logs in and can click on a folder "Show new files since last visit".