rejetto forum

Flash Uploads

Guest · 8 · 5472

austin

I've noticed that a lot of websites now have the ability to upload a lot of files at one time using flash.  Is there any way to integrate this into HFS?  If you're looking to upload a few hundred pictures, you're probably not even going to bother seeing as you have to manually select every single file.  I know HFS doesn't really use flash, but there was a template here (live 2 or something like that) that used flash exclusively.  Every single flash upload template I see requires PHP and other things that HFS simply doesn't have.  Is there any way around this?

And it doesn't have to be really advanced flash.  Photobucket uses a very simple system.  It's just like HFS except you can select multiple files in the browse window.  Is there any way to make this work with HFS?

Offline Foggy

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
As far as I know there is nothing preventing a flash uploader. I believe all that is needed to upload something in flash is the HTTP POST method. ie, flash communicates to the server as any web browser would, specifically by using the POST method.

I don't think it would be too hard to create such a thing, if you have some basic coding skills. It might be worth looking at a couple flash tutorials to get an idea of how it works and try creating your own.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
i WANT to do it.
and probably next version of the default template will have it.
it's just a matter of time.
you can experiment in the while, and suggest the flash thing you like most.
i think i will spend some time on it soon.

Offline TSG

• Operator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
    • RAWR-Designs
What is the advantage of a flash uploader? Does it enable the ability to upload more than one file by selection or drag/drop...?

Otherwise it would still require the same process of adding each file individually. Ideally uploading an archive to HFS is the easiest way.

If you want we would look into this with you and possibly make a flash uploader... but I have only recently found enough time and motivation to work on small updates to our own stuff.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 01:41:15 PM by That_Stevens_Guy »

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
yes, multi-selection.
and even more: it can upload the files without reloading the page.
like this http://www.inaflashuploader.com/
this one is not good enough because doesn't let the page know when the upload is over, because then the page needs to reload (or anyway to list the new files)

you can easily find other flash things with sources. this one was closed.
swfupload is cool, but requires a lot of javascript. very flexible, but maybe not suitable to the default template that should stay low.

austin_notloggedin

Well I can edit just about anything no matter what it's written in, but as for creating the code from scratch I have very little experience with Javascript.  I am fluent in HTML and CSS though.  I can edit Javascript, Pearl, C++, and just about every other type of code I've encountered.  But as for creating stuff from scratch, I'm not too good at that.  I've had no schooling in this.  Everything I know is self-taught.  I can do graphics design and such.....in fact I can do just about anything with a computer from design to code to video/audio editing with advanced programs such as Adobe Premier and FL Studios.  My point is that my talents are much more diverse than most people.  I have an intermediate to expert knowledge in everything.  Unfortunately I don't have any real experience with creating Javascript from scratch.  So if you can get me some code or template for a flash uploader that still needs some work, I can probably finish it and integrate it into the RAWR template with some effort.  

My existing server template was originally the black RAWR template but it's got a lot of features now.  Most of the code I used came from these forums, but it's working great with very little bugs.  I integrated the ability to add/remove files/folders, rename files/folders, I've added an admin panel, and I have a new collapsible member tools section that has a float ability so it follows you as you scroll down the page.  Of course none of this was coded from scratch.  Most of it I found here and edited to my specific needs.  And of course I have other display elements such as a custom logo and such.  The only way I can think of improving my template is a flash uploader.  Many of my friends want to store their photos on my server and they really can't do it very well because they have to select EVERY SINGLE ONE manually.  If I can get a flash uploader onto this template then there's really not much else I personally can do to improve upon it besides design improvements.  

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile

Offline TSG

• Operator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
    • RAWR-Designs
We are discussing this here, if anyone has a working example, it would be helpful!

http://www.rejetto.com/forum/index.php?topic=7275.0