rejetto forum

Resuming file transfers in a fancy way

Offline Frank-Walter Steinmeier

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Hi there!

You might know that some environments, especially the Flash player, do not support HTTP Headers containing the "range" element. I'm no expert when it comes to internet stuff, but I guess that's the way HFS also handles resuming downloads, right?

Could it be possible to also transmit partial files by GET parameters?

So that a request for "http://localhost/myFile.abc?range=500-600" only transmitts the bytes 500 to 600 from the requested file?

Many thanks in advance!

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
welcome!
the "range" is the only standard way of "resuming".
No browser will resume by the way you suggest.
I don't plan to implement anything like that, but you can fork the project of course.
With HFS 2.3 this could only theoretically be possible, but practically highly inefficient.

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Many thanks for your reply :D

I know that every sane person would use the range header element instead of appending some parameter to the URL itself, but it's the only option I can think of when the requesting application (not necessarily a web browser) may not use the range header element at all.

I wouldn't be too surprised if that's how streaming content into a flash application has actually been like this for years now.

I'll probably try to get around this by setting up a wrapper PHP script, but it would even be better without all that clutter on a small and tidy HFS server ;)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 09:44:14 PM by Frank-Walter Steinmeier »

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
I either got something terribly wrong or an Adobe Flash application running in your browser is forbidden from using quite a lot of http header types, range among them. I understood most of them, but not how you can justify banning 'range' with 'security concerns' :-\

I'm currently working on a Flash application that streams 3D content (textures, geometry, ...) in a progressive manner, but since I cannot resume file transfers in Flash, the whole thing just got pretty ugly.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
try to give a look at youtube, by seeking at the end of a long video.
you may need to sniff the request made by the flash app.

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Interesting idea.

I'll probably have to divide all the files into several chunks or set up a PHP script or something similiar.

The easiest thing would probably have been HFS doing the same for ?range=x-y as for a "real" range header.

By the way, just for my personal interest: Does HFS react to something you append like http://localhost/file.abc?someStuff at all?

Best regards

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
only if it's something it recognize, and it's mostly on folders