rejetto forum

Login problem

Offline wikkedgt

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Did a search but didn't see what I'm experiencing. I cant seem to get past the login part of the process to access the password protected folders over the web. If I type in a User/Pass that I know is correct, it still wont let me in. Just repeated User/Pass prompts. If I remove the password protection in HFS on the folders, it works like a charm.

Offline maverick

• Tireless poster
  • Computer Solutions
    • View Profile
Right click on the folders and select properties.  Did you give them access to those folders?
maverick

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
yeh, you probably didn't assign correct access permissions.
what version are you using?

Offline wikkedgt

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Right click on the folders and select properties.  Did you give them access to those folders?

I didnt see any properties in HFS. Are you referring to that or properties in windows explorer? I have file sharing enabled in windows already.

Offline wikkedgt

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
yeh, you probably didn't assign correct access permissions.
what version are you using?

I'm using the latest version. I set it up just like it's directed in this guide: http://www.techmalaya.com/2008/02/16/home-network-file-server-setup/. It doesnt mention anything about having to do anything special to get it to work. Like I mentioned previously, if you remove the password protect feature, it works just fine.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 10:00:55 PM by wikkedgt »

Offline maverick

• Tireless poster
  • Computer Solutions
    • View Profile
If you got HFS from the site you mention above, it is 2.2f build 155.  In that version, right click on the folder in the HFS virtual file system and select "restrict access".  Then select the name of the user(s) that you want to give access to that folder.

If you password protect anything, you have to give users access otherwise they don't get access to the files/folders.
maverick

Offline wikkedgt

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
If you got HFS from the site you mention above, it is 2.2f build 155.  In that version, right click on the folder in the HFS virtual file system and select "restrict access".  Then select the name of the user(s) that you want to give access to that folder.

If you password protect anything, you have to give users access otherwise they don't get access to the files/folders.

Yes, that's the build I have. But, I'm not trying to give other users access, I'm trying to access the folders myself over the web after I've set everything up. Unless, you mean I have to give myself access that way.

Offline maverick

• Tireless poster
  • Computer Solutions
    • View Profile

Unless, you mean I have to give myself access that way.

You would want access, wouldn't you?
maverick

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
the method for protecting, maverick and I was referring, is different than the one suggested by the "guide".
that's where the confusion come from.
@maverick: he is using "set user/pass".

i just run hfs 2.2f and set a folder with user "asd" and password "iop".
then entered the browser, clicked on the folder, and entered the above information. all went fine.

i guess there's something subtle that you are mistaking.
try this
1. open hfs
2. menu -> clear file system
3. add a folder
4. right click on it, and "set user/pass"
5. enter: asd / jkl
6. click "open in browser"
7. see if it works with same user/pass of step 5
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 12:00:04 PM by rejetto »

Offline wikkedgt

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
That is exactly what I'm doing now. And when I try to access it (desktop) over the web (same network) via a different PC (laptop), it would not let me in. Just repeated User/Pass prompts. It seems to be reminiscent of this post: http://www.rejetto.com/forum/index.php?topic=5362.0
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 09:55:10 PM by wikkedgt »

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
mmm, no, that problem is clearly (for me) different than yours.

please, save your virtual file system and save options to file
you'll get 2 files: a .vfs file and "hfs.ini"
send both to me: support@rejetto.com

Offline wikkedgt

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
It seems to be working today, but I'm at my girlfriends house, (same domain) with the laptop. It was only exhibiting that behavior the other day when I had both pc's in the same house trying to set it up. But as long as it keeps working this way, that'll be fine. After all, this is what I wanted it for anyway, to access my desktop when I wasn't at home. If it does that again, I'll send you those two files.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 10:22:56 PM by wikkedgt »

Offline maverick

• Tireless poster
  • Computer Solutions
    • View Profile
It was only exhibiting that behavior the other day when I had both pc's in the same house trying to set it up.

It won't work if you try to access your server over the internet from the same house.  For that you have to browse locally using IP 127.0.0.1.  When using your external IP, the IP you give your friends so they can get on your server via the internet, they have to be calling from anywhere but your house.  I wish you would have mentioned that you were doing that before.
maverick

Offline wikkedgt

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
It'll work from the same house until you password protect it. That's when it stopped working correctly. If I thought that may be the cause, I would've have mentioned it sooner. But, I never saw any mention of it not working in anything I read. Guide, FAQ, forum etc. I wanted to make sure it was setup correctly before I got across town. It would be kind of hard to fix it if I wasn't sitting in front of it. I believe I did mention that the laptop and the desktop were on the same network.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 12:39:38 AM by wikkedgt »

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
no maverick, if the IP address was the problem, it would not work even unprotected, while it does