rejetto forum

Upload Permissions For Sub Folders

Guest · 6 · 3263

austin

Just wondering, is there any way to make it so a member can only upload and have control over a sub folder instead of the entire thing?  I have people itching for server space but I don't want them all in my main directory.  That would really screw me up.  Perhaps I could make a folder called "Members" and put all their accounts inside that folder?  The problem is I can't password protect ONLY their sub folder.  I can make it so they can upload and delete files and create their own folders, but they can do it to any account that shares the folder on the main directory with them, which isn't secure at all.  What can I do about this?  I have a lot of family members and friends who want to share their own stuff, but if anyone can just come in and delete their stuff and put new stuff into their folder, then what's the point?  Is there any fix for this?  Is this coming up in the next version?

Offline bacter

• Operator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
Make a virtual folder for all members, where you give read access to all files that you allow to download all of them (only download, nothing more).
To this folder add a real folder for each member: allow in each folder only to his individual member to browse, up- and download and delete.

Mark then in the menu -> virtual file system the option 'List protected iytems only for allowed users'

This way each one will only see common files in the members directory with his personal sub-folder.
your computer has no brain - use your own !

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
@austin
if bacter solution doesn't fit your needs, please try listing all your needs in a basic (but non-ambiguous) form, for i'm confused by your description.

hint: consider that if you have a real folder "folder1", but you need to control some properties of a sub-folder "folder2", there's a trick: you can manually add the folder2 as real-folder under folder1. this will give you control over it.

austin

hint: consider that if you have a real folder "folder1", but you need to control some properties of a sub-folder "folder2", there's a trick: you can manually add the folder2 as real-folder under folder1. this will give you control over it.

Thanks a lot rejetto and thank you for trying to help bacter.  To be honest, I've never played around with virtual folders before.  I thought they were just for quick creation because they were to be deleted soon.  I've read all I can on HFS, but one thing I could never find was a good explanation of the difference between real folders and virtual folders.  I suggest it should be added to the FAQ on the main website.

But anyways, it's working now.  Thank god I don't have to have each member in my main directory.  That would totally suck.  I now have the ultimate template, but I think I'll forgo sharing it for awhile until I test it for at least a month and try to improve on it some more.  The user tools area just doesn't look too good.  I'm not very good with styling in CSS and it looks pretty ugly.

austin

did you read this one?

Why no I didn't see that one.  I looked forever!  Perhaps you should put it in a different location as well such as the FAQ's.  Thank you.  Now I understand. :)