rejetto forum

No-IP update error in 2.3 beta Build 203

Offline TEA-Time

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Hi rejetto,

I'm not sure if this is a problem with this build or if No-IP changed something, but I just noticed I'm receiving this error when the dynamic DNS updater runs (sensitive info removed):

9/18/2008 9:35:12 PM DNS update requested for xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx: unknown reply: 10

No-IP has my current IP registered, but I'm not sure if it's from before the error started occurring or if it actually is working and just their response has changed.

In case it helps, the Custom field has this URL:

Code: [Select]
http://dynupdate.no-ip.com/dns?username=xxxx@xxxx.xxx&password=xxxx&hostname=xxxx&ip=%ip%
And the following is returned if I put that URL into my browser (with my IP in place of the macro, of course):

:10
xxxx.xxxx.xxx:0

Unfortunately, I'm not sure how things look when they are working, but you probably do. ;)

Thanks!

Offline maverick

• Tireless poster
  • Computer Solutions
    • View Profile
Your no-ip custom DNS updater code looks wrong.  It should be the following which works fine here.  Bye the way, you don't put that code in your browser.  HFS uses it when updating the dynamic dns.

http://dynupdate.no-ip.com/update.php?username=xxxxxx@xxxxxxxx.xxx&pass=xxxxxxxxxx&host=xxxxxx.xxx&ip=%ip%
username=email address
pass=password
host=no-ip hostname

When it is working properly, you will see the following in your HFS log:

12:55:19 AM DNS update requested for xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx: successful

If it still isn't working for you, go to no-ip and set up another host name.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 07:14:45 AM by maverick »
maverick

Offline TEA-Time

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
maverick,

Your no-ip custom DNS updater code looks wrong.  It should be the following which works fine here.

http://dynupdate.no-ip.com/update.php?username=xxxxxx@xxxxxxxx.xxx&pass=xxxxxxxxxx&host=xxxxxx.xxx&ip=%ip%
username=email address
pass=password
host=no-ip hostname

Whatever it's supposed to be, the URL that I got from the Custom field is what HFS builds when using the No-IP wizard, hence the reason I reported the problem.

Bye the way, you don't put that code in your browser.  HFS uses it when updating the dynamic dns.

Yes.. I know this.  I also know that it's possible to put it into a browser to see what's returned, and it's possible to copy & paste from there, whereas that can't be done from the "Dynamic DNS updater -> See last server response" dialog.

If it still isn't working for you, go to no-ip and set up another host name.

I shouldn't have to.  It's been working fine up until now.  Besides, compared to your URL example, it now appears as though it's HFS that is building the URL incorrectly.

But thanks for trying.

Offline maverick

• Tireless poster
  • Computer Solutions
    • View Profile
Whatever it's supposed to be, the URL that I got from the Custom field is what HFS builds when using the No-IP wizard, hence the reason I reported the problem.

The code I show above was built by HFS too.  However, that was a long time ago but still works perfectly here.  Anyway, as long as the correct username, password, and host is passed to no-ip, and that's how it's setup up at no-ip it should work.  If you still are having problems no-ip has their own utility that does this for you.

Yes.. I know this.  I also know that it's possible to put it into a browser to see what's returned, and it's possible to copy & paste from there, whereas that can't be done from the "Dynamic DNS updater -> See last server response" dialog.

As I said before, it is not necessary to copy & paste the url into the browser.  All you have to do is -> from the menu click on custom.  Enter url pops up which shows your custom url.  *Once* you press "ok" just look at your HFS log window and you will see what is returned.  The see last server response dialog will just show you the result.  As far as no-ip is concerned if you get a Status=0 response that means it was successful.

Good luck.

Rejetto might have to take a look at this if he made a recent change to the Dynamic DNS Updater.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 10:48:47 AM by maverick »
maverick

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
Problem solved in next build.
Users with old settings will automatically be invited to the wizard that will update settings.

Offline TEA-Time

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
@maverick,

I know you're just trying to help, but that's not what I'm looking for.  I know I only have 16 posts here on this board, but I'm an extremely capable person.  I found a problem with the URL that HFS builds and that's why I posted here in the "Bug reports" forum.  The rest of the information I provided is from the troubleshooting that I did in order to find out what's being sent and what's being returned in hopes that it'll help in solving the problem.  As is obvious in my first post, HFS' log doesn't show the full text of what No-IP returns, and that's why I used my browser.

@rejetto,

Are you saying that using the No-IP wizard should fix the problem?  I've tried that and the URL in my first post is what gets built.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile

Offline TEA-Time

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Hi rejetto,

No-IP changed something and now it's working again.  They are returning just a single line now for the URL in my first post, for example:

mydomain:1

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile