Author Topic: feature idea  (Read 2579 times)

Offline joxy

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
feature idea
« on: September 15, 2002, 08:00:15 PM »
Idea for handling not-in-list contacts.

1. when you have a new not-in-list contact, the client sends an add-to-contact-list packet to icq server.

1a. when &rq launched, for each existing not-in-list contact, the client sends an add-to-contact-list packet to icq server.

2. regardless of the "send you're added" prefs checkbox, client does never send any "you're added to contact list" packets to icq server for not-in-list contacts.  This packet will be sent if "send you're added" prefs checkbox is checked, and the local user adds these not-in-list contacts to a contact list.

3. When the user deletes the not-in-list contact from the contact list, the client sends a remove-from-contact-list packet to a server.

Resume. This way, the user will be able to see the status for not-in-list contacts.  They will still be in the &rq's contact list section "not-in-list".

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
feature idea
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2002, 08:28:12 AM »
i thought several time about it, cause it is an interesting thing: for sending longer messages, for the user status and more

but it is bad for other things:
*) the roaster is limited to 600 by the server
*) when the on-server roaster will be supported it could lead to heavy problems (at the moment i don't know if it would be possible to add contacts and save them selectively)
*) it can be easily solved by user with a not-in-list (or temporary) group. this should work at most the same

Offline joxy

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
feature idea
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2002, 07:37:54 AM »
All these details can safely be worked around.  I'll describe later how this can be done.