rejetto forum

a very big VFS

ataxy · 20 · 4301

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline ataxy

  • Occasional poster
  • *
    • Posts: 19
    • View Profile
    • http://d-vault.peerforces.com
i have a problem with beta37 everytime i load my vfs it hangs about a third of the way in its loading of it, task manager says not responding even if i let it go for 30 min
dont know if this will help but here are my computer spec
Athlon64 3000+
2gig pc3200
320gig hdd total
lan on cable isp 7.5mb/900kb


Azag

  • Guest
Quote from: "ataxy"
i have a problem with beta37 everytime i load my vfs it hangs about a third of the way in its loading of it, task manager says not responding even if i let it go for 30 min
dont know if this will help but here are my computer spec
Athlon64 3000+
2gig pc3200
320gig hdd total
lan on cable isp 7.5mb/900kb

That is strange what are your setting or setup (what if any Limits and options checked or unchecked, ect..)  I have a big .vfs file it's about 1.57MB with 8152 files in system currently so my takes a while to load but only 2 to 3 minutes and doesn't hang just takes some CPU cycles when loading but it goes to 1% or 0% CPU use by HFS.exe after all is loaded.  Never had a problem unless I mistakenly allow more than oen instance but I don't. I did try this a few times for test but have no need for it. Do you run a firewall or IDS that might not like it?
In my personally setup I have speed limit:disabled,  pause streaming (unchecked), Max connections: disabled, Max connections for single address: 16, Max Simultaneous Downloads: disabled, Max Simultaneous Downloads from Single Address: 2,  Max Simultaneous Addresses: disabled, Max Simultaneous Addresses Downloading: disabled,  Connection Inactivity Timeout: 300  (this is the standard for most web browsers and servers from my understanding), also note Persistant Conections and Compressed Browsing are both checked (on).  Don't know if this helps but it might be worth a try or at least some of it.  I don't know your current setup or bandwidth so it is hard to say much. If anyone knows a setting I should change or play around with adjusting suggestions are always welcome and I like to try anything to test to see a possible improvement or better stability for me or visitor/downloaders.   maverick good info to know btw. Later all have a great weekend.  :)  :drunk:


Azag

  • Guest
Quote from: Azag
Quote from: "ataxy"
i have a problem with beta37 everytime i load my vfs it hangs about a third of the way in its loading of it, task manager says not responding even if i let it go for 30 min
dont know if this will help but here are my computer spec
Athlon64 3000+
2gig pc3200
320gig hdd total
lan on cable isp 7.5mb/900kb

Well I missed your bandwidth/connection type info in last post but I see that shouldn't be an issue. Nice speed.  Doubt speed would have a bit to do with loading on start up at all anyhow.  In fact I am sure it wouldn't in your situation.  ;) I should have read that better.


Offline maverick

  • Tireless poster
  • ****
    • Posts: 1052
  • Computer Solutions
    • View Profile
Quote from: "ataxy"
everytime i load my vfs it hangs about a third of the way in its loading of it, task manager says not responding even if i let it go for 30 min
It sounds to me that your vfs is corrupt.  Create a new vfs (to replace the one you have now), save it, and see if that works better.
maverick


Offline ataxy

  • Occasional poster
  • *
    • Posts: 19
    • View Profile
    • http://d-vault.peerforces.com
i would really like to send you my vfs rejetto but its 15.7mb, yes i know it is huge


Anonymous

  • Guest
Quote from: "ataxy"
i would really like to send you my vfs rejetto but its 15.7mb, yes i know it is huge
With a vfs that big, you might have a resource problem.


Offline ataxy

  • Occasional poster
  • *
    • Posts: 19
    • View Profile
    • http://d-vault.peerforces.com
Quote from: "Anonymous"
Quote from: "ataxy"
i would really like to send you my vfs rejetto but its 15.7mb, yes i know it is huge
With a vfs that big, you might have a resource problem.
what do you meant by resource problem


Offline rejetto

  • Administrator
  • Tireless poster
  • *****
    • Posts: 13308
    • View Profile
ok, i got his file...
it contains 82000+ items and took 12 minutes to load on my laptop (centrino 1.3GHz).
i really don't know why it hangs on your computer.

anyway i think you should use more real-folders. it seems to me you are getting more virtualization than you need, overloading worthlessly.
you only use virtual-folders, is there a reason you not using real-folders?


Offline ataxy

  • Occasional poster
  • *
    • Posts: 19
    • View Profile
    • http://d-vault.peerforces.com
well i use vfs because from what i understood you cannot upload to them


Mike

  • Guest
No, you can't upload to virtual folders but that should not stop you from using real folders.  In fact, real folders are preferred if the content is always changing.  To make a real folder uploadable, you have to first give your users upload access to a real folder.  If you don't give upload access, there won't be an upload option to upload to it.


Offline ataxy

  • Occasional poster
  • *
    • Posts: 19
    • View Profile
    • http://d-vault.peerforces.com
Quote from: "Mike"
No, you can't upload to virtual folders but that should not stop you from using real folders.  In fact, real folders are preferred if the content is always changing.  To make a real folder uploadable, you have to first give your users upload access to a real folder.  If you don't give upload access, there won't be an upload option to upload to it.

ahhh i see


Offline rejetto

  • Administrator
  • Tireless poster
  • *****
    • Posts: 13308
    • View Profile
maybe i should put a new feature: if the user puts more than X items, or anyway try to put a folder with many items as virtual, then pop up an advice about using real folders.
what you think about?
we should decide the number of items for the warning...
any suggestion?


Offline ataxy

  • Occasional poster
  • *
    • Posts: 19
    • View Profile
    • http://d-vault.peerforces.com

Mike

  • Guest
A popup warning might be a good idea for some as long as there is an option to turn it off so it doesn't get annoying.  What you may think is the right number of items for the warning, others may not, as every admin runs their servers differently.


Offline ataxy

  • Occasional poster
  • *
    • Posts: 19
    • View Profile
    • http://d-vault.peerforces.com
Quote from: "Mike"
A popup warning might be a good idea for some as long as there is an option to turn it off so it doesn't get annoying.  What you may think is the right number of items for the warning, others may not, as every admin runs their servers differently.
absolutly